American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:00 am 
Last night (or should I say early this morning) thanks to a bout of perscription drug induced ensomnia [xx(], I was able to thumb through all of the HPS Shiloh scenarios for the first time since getting it a few weeks ago. Looks like a lot of great scenarios in there, including some smaller ones for a change. [:)]

I decided to fire up the Naval Battle (can’t remember the exact scenario number) and see what it was like, only to be dissapointed to discover that the ships can’t ram each other… which is all well and dandy for the Yanks, but since the Rebs had a fondness for armored rams, I had hoped it would be an option. But I suppose since it looks like the ships are coded as artillery with water movement and a different picture, they aren’t allowed to melee.

Are there any scenarios featuring a Confederate ram that is allowed to actually ram a Union ship? If not, perhaps it could be added in the future… The ramming ability could be treated like infantry ammo, with an XX % chance that the ram will be damaged during the melee so that you cannot use the ram again for that battle (or it could be repaired overnight?), and a X % chance that the broken ram could cause the ship to sink / start leaking and be taken out of the fight, etc.

I was also curious about the street fighting scenarios but didn’t get a chance to check those out yet? Anyone tried out a street battle that would like to comment on them? I am curious how they are done – are the units disrupted as in a normal town/city fight if in line, or are there special rules and a different scale in the Shiloh street fight scenarios?

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:53 am 

Street fights abound in the Nappy games. Everyone disrupts in line, of course, which is why they tend to take place in column and feature very little fire and a lot of melees. The problem with the Nappy games is that (unlike in the ACW and EAW series) units can't undisrupt on line disruption terrain at all, so that in order to have the boys reorder you have to move them out of the town onto clear ground, then back into the brawl.

That aside, I think it's a fair representation of fighting in a built-over area.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 am 

Hi,

Sorry, I tried to get some special ship rules. I'll keep trying. But I did get their lost arty to count for VP points and some new 3D icons. I guess, since these games are intended to represent land warfare, programming "real" naval warfare stuff would take too much programming time. And in truth, there are still alot of things that need programming that will improve these game's intended purpose. But maybe we can squeeze something in later. John is very methodical and likes to introduce things slowly and have each new game come up with some new improvement. A wiser strategy then my sometimes knee-jerk approach.

Rich

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:25 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Hi,

Sorry, I tried to get some special ship rules. I'll keep trying. But I did get their lost arty to count for VP points and some new 3D icons. I guess, since these games are intended to represent land warfare, programming "real" naval warfare stuff would take too much programming time. And in truth, there are still alot of things that need programming that will improve these game's intended purpose. But maybe we can squeeze something in later. John is very methodical and likes to introduce things slowly and have each new game come up with some new improvement. A wiser strategy then my sometimes knee-jerk approach.

Rich

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the river ships were added, I just look forward to Confederate rams with the possibility of their being damaged while ramming, etc. They weren't the most reliable feats of engineering ever constructed, but were pretty darn effective when they worked.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."