American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:53 pm 

What are those hexes with numbers in them that cost about 8 movement points to move into (HPS games)? So far, all of the ones that I have stumbled into are in woods. You only see the numbers if you right click on the terrain hex in the menu strip (where the units and the hex terrain is shown along the side of the map). How can I detect them so that I can expect a unit to move only one hex?

Brig Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 am 

Hi, General,
Can you provide a scenario and hex number? BTW, I never realized that right clicking would reveal the total number of men in a hex in the hex info, even though that information is in the user's manual. I can think of a number of situations where cumulative terrain costs would add up to 8, but not where that information is hidden.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:22 am 
Are they woods with rough in them? Without knowing where to look I'm just guessing. I seem to remember the rough hexes near the Williamsburg Road at White Oak Swamp in Peninsula being a very high mvt point cost total...

Regards,

Col. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:39 pm 

I've noticed them before in both the game that Alan and I are playing as well as earlier scenarios but the current game is in HPS Peninsula, 1. Glendale to Malvern Hill: June 30 - July 1, 1862 using the 000Glendale2_sub.map. One of the hexes is either at 80,76 or 80,75. Alan, you may have just moved into it but you wouldn't be able to tell because you moved one hex into my ZOC. I was expecting a movement cost of 5 and it cost me 8.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:13 pm 

Hi, General,

At the risk of ratting out my compatriot, you might check to see if he has deployed skirmishers. Since Gettysburg, skirmisher cost is three. Added to the five for woods in Peninsula, that would explain the surprise cost of eight.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:56 pm 

The Rat!!!! I should have known that Alan would be behind it. He's got more Rebs in these scenarios than Carter has liver pills.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:22 am 
I'll check that hex my turn and see if skirmisher may have been the culprit. I did have some skirmishers out around the Glendale area if that is where we are talking about.

Regards,

Col. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:51 pm 

Bill, the total number of men in the hex is the number that I was seeing. I just had not figured out what that number was until Maj Gen Mihalik addressed it in this post. Thanks for the offer.

Just in case you didn't see it in one of my previous posts, thanks a million, Bill, for your tremendous assistance in the scenario design department. You went through a lot of trouble for me and it worked.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA