American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Entry Hexes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:51 am 

What are the penalties for being too close to an entry hex for your opponents' reinforcements? How close do you have to be? What if that same entry-hex-for-reinforcements is also an Objective Location? The specific game in question this time is a campaign in HPS Gettysburg.

Col Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:28 am 

Penalty is routed units for you if your opponent brings on reinforcements. Typically 5 hexes is the radius, as I recall...Take the objective hex after reinforcements have arrived is the best I can say there - you run into the same thing in 2nd Bull Run...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 am 

I'm bumping this thread back to the top to see if anyone can direct me to chapter and verse of what the rules are. Where is this documented? I have searched and cannot find. Laubster's guess sounds interesting; so much so that I need to find a way to verify . . . Anyone??

Col Dwight McBride
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:48 am 
There is protection for the entry of units that causes enemy units to rout. The distance is usually 5 hexes but that can be changed by the designer. THe info can be found...somewhere in the reinforcement dialog (I'm drawing a blank as to where).

However, in your case it sounds to me like you are actually talking about an exit hex which gives points for removing units from the board in that hex.

If your opponent has troops arriving near your objective or exit hex, then the only advice is don't go there when he has troops coming in. How to figure that out, you're on your own[;)].

2nd Lt. Beno
5/2/I AoP
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:11 am 

Another guess for five hexes. It would be nice to know for sure. I could find no documentation connected to the reinforcement dialogue . . . No, this hex is not an "exit hex." It is an objective hex, with points awarded for possession, which is also an entry hex for my opponent . . . Any other responders? My problem is I'm too logical I suppose; I expect there to be definite documented literature on any and all aspects of these games. If I'm wrong, how in heck do people expect to "stay clear"?, etc? Quite frustrating.

Col Dwight McBride
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:25 am 

Opening one of the standard game scenarios in HPS Gettysburg with the editor I found the protection value there at 5 hexes for entry hexes. Not having found one that is both an entry and Objective exit hex I can't say for sure how that would be handled. My guess would be if it's an exit hex the units there would not have protection.

The way to see this is with the editor, open the scenario and go to the Reinforcement Dialog, from the help files

"The Reinforce Dialog is used to define certain data associated with a reinforcement in the current scenario."

" The Protection value is an artificial value introduced into the game to protect the reinforcement from enemy units that are crowding the arrival hex. If the Protection value is non-zero, then at the moment the reinforcement arrives, any enemy units within the number of hexes in the Protection value from the arrival hex are automatically routed. Typically Protection values are used to protect reinforcements arriving on normal roads, while this value is set to 0 for leaders and reinforcements arriving at locations such as river landings (Pittsburgh Landing at Shiloh for example) or across bridges."

I recall playing a blind scenario some time back, my opponent was doing very well with an attack on my weak flank but unknown to him I had reinforcements due there. When they came in several of his units routed allowing me to roll him up instead. Having had the same thing happen to me once it doesn't seem to be a wrong thing to have happen as in both cases the reinforcements arrived on the flank/rear of the other sides units.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 am 

Thank you very much, General Miller.

Col Dwight McBride
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP