American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:18 pm 

Complete title is All Roads Led to Gettysburg: A New Look at the Civil War's Pivotal Battle
Wouldn't fit in the subject line.
Troy Harmon also wrote "Lee's Real Plan at Gettysburg" so this is the second book of his in my collection.

I found it interesting, he looks at the battle from the locations of roads, water and rail resources.
I get the feeling he feels Gettysburg was the only logical place for Meade to halt Lee's invasion and cover Washington.

He also comments on Meade's offensive plans and why they never happened.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 am 

I don't have a ton of time to post a lot right now with company coming soon, but will put up more when I can.

Years ago, when I was recovering from an injury and my wife & I were starting to hike to build up strength, we hiked Gambrill State Park here in Maryland. It's just west of Frederick and sort of a foothill to the Catoctin Mountain & South Mountain chain that runs about that part of the state. It was an early summer day, a bit warm for me then. We climbed and I remembered being rather worn out when we stumbled upon a family grilling hot dogs and thinking how good the hot dogs looked/smelled! We had gotten a little lost and didn't quite have a lot of snacks. Either way the point is we also stumbled on this CWT sign that talks about Meade's pursuit. The below photo is from Google, though I have one of my own, somewhere. If not I'll take one someday.

I can't imagine doing it in the rain & mud back then. It stunk enough in the warmth & with more modern aspects. Since that hike we live closer to the area and spend a lot of time out and about in it. It's one of those Ed Bearss things, where getting out and seeing the land helps you better understand.

The Pipe Creek Circular has been getting more traction after long being ignored, especially in the larger public eye. The major north & south roads are still the same. The rail line running behind it was crucial to Meade as well.

Profile Send private message