American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:45 pm 

This book is a novel about the Second War Between the States. In the 8 pages of the prelude the author covers his premise as to how the north lost the first war. Basically Lee’s Lost Order was not lost, there was no Antietam and Lee managed to defeat Little Mac and the AotP in Pennsylvania in the fall of 1862 resulting in France and England recognizing the Confederacy and a forced separation of the two countries. It then jumps forward to 1881 using some historical characters and fictional ones to tell the story of the Second War Between the States.

I had previously read a Turtledove’s SF series covering an alien invasion during WWII and the resulting changes in history before picking up this one so this book intrigued me. Personally I found most of his historical characters true to their real life counterparts as I know them from my readings with their actions being plausible from my personal point of view. His fictional characters cover a wide range as he covers the story from the side of the common working stiff as well as the movers and shakers.

The book is a complete story in itself although if you like this one there is a 3 book series on The Great War, covering the USA and CSA during an alternate history of WWI, followed by another 3 book series titled American Empire, covering the changing political situation in the years between WWI-WWII in both countries and the final 4 books covering the WWII years. For those who wonder what might have happened had the south won the war you may find the series interesting. If you've never read one of Turtledove's books this one is a good example of his work and is available in paperback and can probably be found used on line or in some used book stores.

Ken Miller

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:41 pm 

I have read the whole series - How Few Remain, then the 3 from WW1, then the 3 set in the period between the wars and then the four covering WW2 - damn fine work. Not so keen on the later books in the series about the early kick off of WW2

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message