American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:08 am 

Derek,

Good questions, but they have been discussed before. I wish the manual would include this information!! John won't do it. At least not yet.

First, my original comments related to stand alone scns. Campaign issues are treated differently. And to be honest I can't remember how it all breaks downs.

If I recall, captured guns are either eliminated from the campaign, or they return to their original side with a strength of one, or 50%. I would test it for you, but I'm at work at the moment. They will not be added to the capturing side for the next battle.

As to recrewing, they are recrewed by the capturing side in the sense they newly captured artillery can be turned and fired. However, they can't be moved because the likely hood of finding horses etc..

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />So, how exactly does this "belonging to no side" work out? If I "abandon" the guns and win the battle, do these guns permanently disappear from the campaign, or do they re-appear in the Reb order of battle in the next battle? If the latter, that would indeed mean they revert to Reb ownership automatically if no Federal unit is in the hex.

Any particular reason why guns cannot just remain captured once they are captured, without anyone guarding them to make sure they don't become "abandoned"? Again, this does *not* mean I expect to be able to move them off.

Or alternatively, why can I not recrew them, if I can recrew own batteries?

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:50 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Or alternatively, why can I not recrew them, if I can recrew own batteries?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi, General,

That is a good point about campaigns. From time to time batteries were formed from captured guns, such as the Valverde Battery formed by the Texans from the guns captured at Valverde. And I think in the HPS Ozark game there is a scenario where if the Yanks win a certain battle, they get an extra section which was created historically from guns captured as a result of that battle. In larger battles, it is my impression that guns captured by the Rebs were awarded to established batteries to replace guns destroyed in battle or worn out. Last priority was replacing guns lost through capture, as the New Orleans Washington Artillery found to their chagrin after they lost some guns to Sedgwick's men at Fredricksburg during the Chancellorsville battle. The guns awarded were those captured from Milroy at Winchester, which is in HPS Gettysburg, and it is why the Washington Artillery only had ten guns at Gettysburg. Anyway, while captured guns were often turned on their previous owners during a battle, they were seldom if ever moved, and their disposition was made after the battle. At this stage of game development, I would be satisfied if captured guns were treated the same way as victory hexes, and in campaigns the loss of guns handled as it now is. After all, to create a new battery takes more than guns; it takes men, horses, ammunition, etc. In the case of the Valverde Battery, it is worth noting that even though the Texans brought the Valverde Battery back with them to Texas, they buried a number of their own mountain howitzers in New Mexico before retreating.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:34 am 

One error, that you have mentioned, that I have tried to make clear. Any unit will do for occupying purposes. Even Col. Anon, or a supply wagon. A regiment is not needed.

Yes, I wish Drew, and Doug post here. I'm sure they could better explain things better.

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Good point Dierk. The guns should remain captured until the other side takes them back. If the Rebs lose alot of those 1 gun batteries that will mean a regiment for every hex by the end of each scenario in order to get the points for them.

The KISS format, however, is nice. I prefer the old system feeling that spiking has just added some chrome that really doesnt matter in the end. Guns were already worth alot of points in the series. Probably too much.

But any change to the series that adds more realism is appreciated Rich. Thank you for taking the time out to dialogue with us here. I wish that the rest of the guys on your team would help you out as well. Drew used to post here more. Havent heard from Doug in a coon's age.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"