* Continental American Army

* French Army HQ

* Indian Alliance

Club Forums:     NWC    ACWGC     Home Pages:     NWC    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Genealogy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 pm 

Since early 2020, things started changing - anyways, while some of this might probably be best added to the Historical Biographies thread (and they will be in due course), but I thought it probably ought to be also in the context of why these are coming up.

I last wrote up there about 'David Cobb Jr', who was killed in action against the Northwest Confederation on 4 November 1791, at what has a few names, but one of which is Battle of the Wabash. David Cobb 'Sr' - I guess technically he is a Sr as he did have a son, David Cobb, it just wasn't the one that was killed in what is now central western Ohio... was a 1st cousin (I have to track down the 'removed' part, because obviously we are not contemporaries of each other. His sister married a signer of the Declaration of Independence in Robert Treat Paine.

But that isn't really all there is to the story, - this all goes back to a set of 3x great grand parents who were born over in New England (this 3x great grandmother from Rhode Island, and this 3x great grandfather from just across the border in eastern rural Connecticut).

What is really great about having New England roots, is the New England Historic Genealogical Society is probably the most established society of this kind in the US. I think I have found at least 7 (probably more) sets of great grand parents that were part of the Great Migration -which is like nothing else that I have been able to find on any other line.

Be back in a bit to finish this post off. . .

Disclaimer is - I don't think that these connections are going to be overly unusual for people from New England; the families were big - very big. My 3x great grandmother was a 2nd cousin of Christopher Greene, and a 3rd cousin to both Samuel Ward Jr (Sr too, technically), and Nathanael Greene. My 3x great grandfather (her husband) was a 3rd cousin of William Langdon Jr (from New Hampshire - and one of the signers of the US Constitution, among other things). . . there's actually more -but I will leave it for now, and resume posting up in the bio's area; but this is essentially where that is all coming from.