Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:20 am 

And it would be a shame if I were accidently killed before that time! Sheesh, all this talk of death is making me nervous.

I do hope that the Sous Chef Lt will bring tasty pastries to reading of the rules. I will bring good, stout coffee.

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 am 
Sitting quietly at his corner table the scribe rapidly sketched the unfolding scene in his journal.

He sought to capture the clash and cut of steely words in this verbal joust no far cry from a very real duel fought with sabres.

In the background he added the withdrawing figure of GdD Savary, still wrapped tight in his cloak, and evidently satisfied that his work here stirring the cauldron of battle was done.

So tense was the atmosphere that even Josephine was lying on the floor beneath the scribe's seat, no longer patrolling the floor for tidbits of food dropped from tables on high, and watching carefully all that happened.

Perhaps a song from the Shrike thought the scribe to himself, would lighten the mood.

No sooner had the thought occured than the scribe fairly slapped himself across the face.
What am I thinking? he muttered to himself. Too much whiskey no doubt, slight pause as hand reaches for the glass, Or more likely, not enough.

Regards,

Last edited by Todd Schmidgall on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:35 pm 

Do you still seek an opponent for a Matrix battle or is your dance card full?

Sympher's Brigade
3rd Bn/1st Regiment of Foot Guards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 am 

As I sit patiently at my folding desk watching yet another candle burn down to the nub waiting on word from the French Lt, I reflect on what has become of this world. How could it be that the idea of freedom could be so turned upside down in France. Where a little person from the circus could rise to such power and authority to create such havoc. I guess none of those who could oppose him could look him in the eye. Not without sitting in a chair to do so anyway.

The chiming of the parish church bells tell of more hours passing without word. The Frenchman probably used one of his "recruits" from Paris as messenger who is still trying to figure out how to get out of the French encampment. I guess there is still time for another glass of wine and some of that fresh bread Maria bakes.

Viva Espana!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 pm 

The messenger, disgracefully drunk, has finally arrived. Typical Grand Armee I fear. Will make hitting the target more difficult as they stagger, weave, and trip on the way to the front.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am 

Hello Mark,

I accept your invitation to battle. If you are still interested please send a courier to my headquarters nwc.dukeman@seznam.cz .

I have a Napoleon in Russia, Prelude to Waterloo and Waterloo too.

Regards,

Kapitan Petr Michalek
Smolensk Infantry Regiment
12th Infantry Division
VII Infantry Corps of 2nd West Army
Imperial Russian Army

Russian Corps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm 

All was joy and good cheer until the French arrived! Talk about knowing how to spoil a party! We had laid out a rather nice spread of food on the table to welcome our French bretheren into the neighborhood. Well, lo and behold, they come stomping in with their big bear skin hats and beards, loud belching, and louder farts claiming that the table was all theirs, the food belonged to then by right of being the smelliest, and that we should all be thankful they came by.

That didn't set well with the town elders, the county gentlemen, and the village idiots. So now the whole area is up in arms and demanding action be taken. See, this is how wars get started. No manners! Well, as in my other two battles, my plan is to get the French to run out of ammo and then I will attack. So far the plan is working ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm 

In looking at my signature drawing I was taken aback by some of the features. The captain in the middle is asking of his subordinates what did the dastardly coward look like who knocked our flag to the ground. The two witnesses on the left said he was tall whilst the other said he was short, Napoleon sized. The two on the right holding hands inquired, "A Frenchman? We will go look for him, Capitano". I have my work cut out for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm 

You have quite a mouth on you petit monsieur.

Frenchmen..
[i]They have a way with women and words.. but not so with swords[/i]

I shall be happy to accept your challenge and add your little Ensign sword to the War Room of the Glorious Spanish Brigade.

In fact, you were so rude on your challenge to our arms that I would demand a wager of Rank -

Should I lose I would demote myself to Cadete Porta Bandera (Ensign)

BUT If you were to lose (and you shall)
You would be be granted the hononary title and rank of ´Sub-Sous Puppy Lieutenant Hornsby´

And I would happily make the battle results public on the Rhine Tavern for the infamy of of France.

I await your courier If you dare to fight the war your words started at: lopezgallo@gmail.com

P.S.- Long live to the Matrix / Talonsoft games!! ( =

Kind Regards,

Alférez
Fernando LopezGallo
Regimiento Tiradores De Castilla
Brigada Española
The Anglo Allied Army

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 pm 
[quote="Richard Bradshaw"]In looking at my signature drawing I was taken aback by some of the features. The captain in the middle is asking of his subordinates what did the dastardly coward look like who knocked our flag to the ground. The two witnesses on the left said he was tall whilst the other said he was short, Napoleon sized. The two on the right holding hands inquired, "A Frenchman? We will go look for him, Capitano". I have my work cut out for me.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:25 pm 

As a French officer I will accept your battle but will not accept the wager, not because I'm scared of loosing, No Sir, I believe in fighting with honour and intend to hold onto that in VICTORY or defeat.

As for the Spanish and their Allies. I will fight all in turn and whether I defeat or are defeated you will all get to know this young Sous Lieutenant and fear him in battle. Words will not scare me neither will musket or cannon, and I will lead my troops forward with our Eagle and Flag held high, our drums beating and our cry of Vive l'Empereur, and Vive la France as we advance towards our foe they will then know what fear is as they stand wetting themselves at our sight knowing we will show no mercy and we will drive all before us.

So Sirs any other challenges or do I have to parade the young men already in battle with me as trophies as they will be defeated and there standards will adorn my study wall for all visitors to see.

As for my comrades, I Salute you all and may France be victorious in her fight.

Vive l'Empereur
Vive la France

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

This is why the balloon was invented in Paris. There was an overabundance of hot air in that country ....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:53 pm 

Gentlemen (etiquette demands I include French Officers in that expression),

I missed this thread it seems.

My dear Sous Lt. Hornby I see you disparage mere Ensigns which is a pity. As a mere Ensign I need to learn from my opponents. Should you consider being one of my tutors it would be an honour to face you in NIR Borodino unleashed. No fixed units everything down to the skill of the players. This way I will be able to learn so much from you.

You have little to fear from me as my track record so far is pretty dismal. Yes I have won one but I am losing my current games and am seriously in need of instruction.

Hopefully your humble student,

Tony B.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm 

Does this mean I can expect a battle file anytime soon...I have sent a courier to your tent (last week)?

Sympher's Brigade
3rd Bn/1st Regiment of Foot Guards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am 

Sir,

I replied that I was busy but I had not seen these comments.

BG NIR 07 Kutozov Turns To Fight.

All optional rules except "isolation" & "line movement".

Gentleman's (see dictionary) agreement that skirmishers are not used like modern day special forces units, even my Jaegers to remain close to the main battle lines.

Also Leaders & Supply not to be used to block ZOC for retreats. This is in line with the HPS rules I understand.

The French start so over to you.

tony.barrett@btinternet.com

Looking forward to learning how to play this game.