Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 am 

Gentlemen,
WDS brings us to the next patch level for the Napoleonic Battles series.
This update has a range of interesting changes.
Please take a look here:
https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/napole ... 08-updates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm 

Rich Hamilton makes a comment on the blog about the Prussian 6lb guns having differing values from Leipzig/1814 to Bautzen. The problem he saw was a max range issue. Actually the Company Level (CL) scenarios have a 17 hex max range and this is correct. The ground scale is different and thus the max range would be longer than in the standard 100 meter hex ground scale of the vast majority of the scenarios.

I am no longer in the loop on the values they are planning on using so like the rest of you I will just wait to see that they are. I am hoping that they didn't reduce the range in the CL scenarios.

Another thing: a 12lb gun firing at Quatras Bras had a better effectiveness for range than the same battery firing on June 18th at Waterloo. Why? You know why. The ground was damp. Despite waiting until 11 AM to start the battle, its been noted in many a book on the battle that the ball did not roll as far. Elevation of gun barrel puts the ball out to a certain range and then the billiard table concept took over. The gun actually could not fire up to max range. They fired at a point under what we see as "Max Range" and the rolling effect took over. And most battery commanders were under orders not to waste powder.

My call would be to play with the Max Range OFF in the AI Fire Dialog for artillery to reflect that most of the fire was done at Medium or Short ranges. Leave it for the player during their turn to use. Especially at Waterloo which for whatever reason seems to be the "Standard Game" for the series. Baloney on that. Waterloo was a unique campaign with weather issues that factored in. The same could be said of the second day of Leipzig. Probably my fault for not lowering the ranges for that particular day of battle and perhaps the 3rd day too.

You cannot standardize the cannon over the entire course of the French Rev. and Napoleonic Wars. The powder content improved for the Russians, for instance such that one of their 6lb guns firing during the 1799 campaign in Italy was not as effective as one at Borodino. Its nice and dandy to have the same values but you venture into Utopia when you do that.

I believe I have posted my PDF for the values for artillery over the period of 1792 until 1815 that I used when I did that last big JTS - Nap Battles series I worked on back in the summer of 2020. I can do that again if its requested. A lot of us got together to work over those values. The entire set of games I worked on were then updated using those values.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 pm 

Bill Peters wrote:
I believe I have posted my PDF for the values for artillery over the period of 1792 until 1815 that I used when I did that last big JTS - Nap Battles series I worked on back in the summer of 2020. I can do that again if its requested. A lot of us got together to work over those values. The entire set of games I worked on were then updated using those values.

Afaik that was here:
viewtopic.php?t=16256&p=93266&sid=b43505a27f486e247767f88d1ecddf36#p93266

But I'm not sure if that pdf was with the final values that were used, so if you still got it please upload it here so we can see if 4.08 changes make sense.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm 

I just checked that old spreadsheet/PDF and I reduced the ranges that it had for the 2020 NB series update, the last update that I worked on of that size. The list is dated July 2020. The updates went out in August or September I think. This was a JTS update of course.

For instance: in my table for the Prussians their 6lb gun has a max range of 12. I cut it down to 10 for the update. More than likely that has to do with discussions I had with folks on the team AND/OR data I found that proved that the Prussian gunners avoided wasting rounds at that range.

So its 10 in the PDT files but 12 range on the table. If I were to publish this list I need to update it first to actually coincide with the values that were in use in the PDT files that I produced.

So for now I will hold off on publishing it and my apologies for not checking this first. I thought my charts were up to date but apparently not so.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)