Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:23 pm 

Guys, I would be open to suggestions on what you think could be added to Wagram to make it an ever BETTER game.

Gary M. has said that he prefers smaller battles.

Would more small to medium sized engagements help?

Has anyone tried out the newer scenarios concerning the Austrian left flank at Wagram - July 6? I added those to one of the last patches.

How about the company level scenarios? Were they something you were interested in? I would have to see about 20 replies to want to spend the effort on company level.

I am not going to count Rich Hamilton and Rich White in the number as they are HPS guys.

A couple of folks mentioned that the campaign scenarios were too large. Any comment on that?

Please keep this thread focused on additional scenarios and not engine issues. A bridge strength feature is going to be added to the engine in the next release. Thus you will have to have 50 points in order to cross infantry and leaders at a bridge, 100 for cavalry, 150 for the rest.

This should make some of those bridge crossing situations more of a challenge. Also make the French at Wagram take more time in crossing from Lobau.

Bill Peters
HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:17 am 

Bill,
Thanks for asking.

I agree with Gary that I would enjoy more medium sized scenarios. I know that history restricts this a bit. I am a fan of scenarios that portray part of a battle and have played 4 or 5 in Wagram PBEM.

Also, I would aks you to reconsider the quality ratings of cavalry. The French cavalry, with their high morale ratings and high quality leaders charge and then most will immedietly reorder. The Austrian CAvalry is very similar but it has lower quality leaders. I would like to see more B and C quality cavalry. That said, I have not read much history of Wagram so I do not know how the cavalry fought but they seem to be a little to powerful and long winded in Wagram do to their ability to quickly re-order.

regards,
Baron Jim Pfluecke
Austrian Cavalry Reserve

Austrian Kavalry Reserve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:44 am 

Bill,
there's only one disappointing thing about Wagram: the lack of Archduke Ferdinand and his VII.th Corp actions. We do have the Southern theatre (Sacile) - why not the Northern? What about an expansion pack???

<center>Maréchal T. Nowacki
<b>V KORPUS ARMII RENU</b>
Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova
Chasseurs a Cheval de la Vieille Garde</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:12 am 

Jim - I will consider going back and reevaluating the units and leader ratings. My next title will see lower morale ratings and leader ratings due to the "auto-disorder" factor that occurs all too often.

Tomasz - We would need Polish icons. I do not believe that that will happen and I dont have topo materials to do the Polish campaign as of yet. George Nafziger has a nice book(let) on that part of the campaign which I have ordered. Perhaps I can add this as part of a future title. I think you can understand that the Italian theater was much more important than the Polish. The forces from the south were able to link up with those in Austria proper. I did add in the VII Corps for those that wanted more Austrians and the option to have Ferdinand closer to Vienna.

Now as to medium sized fights - I have Linz, Ebelsberg, components of both Aspern-Essling and Wagram. I believe that I could put together a "MacDonald's Afternoon attack" situation but the Wagram battle has pretty much been dissected into smaller parts. That would leave one small encounter in Carinthia to do. I could put together a few what-if situations ... other than that if you know of anything I missed please let me know.

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:26 am 

More medium-small scenarios would be great. I had the opportunity to play Linz recently and it is a very good size and length.

<b>Général de Division Michael Cox</b>
<font size="4"><i>Principe <font size="1">della </font id="size1">Toscana</i></font id="size4">
Comte de Moselle
<i><font size="4">Armée du Rhin</font id="size4">
<font size="2">2e battallion, 1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Pied, Inf. de l'V. Gde.</i></font id="size2">
<center>Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Tomasz - We would need Polish icons. I do not believe that that will happen and I dont have topo materials to do the Polish campaign as of yet. George Nafziger has a nice book(let) on that part of the campaign which I have ordered. Perhaps I can add this as part of a future title. I think you can understand that the Italian theater was much more important than the Polish. The forces from the south were able to link up with those in Austria proper. I did add in the VII Corps for those that wanted more Austrians and the option to have Ferdinand closer to Vienna.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you need Polish icons/pictures/OOB/maps from 1809 north campaign just tell me what do you need :)

Some time ago we made - with Marcin Mystkowski - Raszyn for old battleground engine and HPS 1.01 too. We are ready for cooperate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:01 am 

Guys - re: Polish campaign

I am going to put this to Rich. If he thinks its something we should pursue then I will take it to John.

Frankly, I hate to go back and add in new materials to older titles because it slows me down from working on newer titles.

I debated the Polish campaign before and while it would be nice I dont know if I have the time to do it.

So I will send off a note to Rich. If he vetoes the idea then that will be the final answer on Poland as far as I am concerned.

I will update this thread once I get a response.

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:12 am 

Zbyszek: that's what I was thinking of! Remember our bloody engagement at Raszyn? [:D]

Bill: I've been trying to send you a few example files (BG-mod maps, icons etc. - great work done by Marcin/Zbyszek), but your mail box seems to be full.

Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:45 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomasz</i>
<br />Zbyszek: that's what I was thinking of! Remember our bloody engagement at Raszyn? [:D]

Bill: I've been trying to send you a few example files (BG-mod maps, icons etc. - great work done by Marcin/Zbyszek), but your mail box seems to be full.

Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tomasz,

It really helps to ZIP files when you send them to me. The Units.bmp file you sent was not zipped.

Why not save them as JPEG format? Its much smaller and I wont need to use the files anyway.

Anything I do will have to be a formal HPS release (Patch) thus I cant use any existing artwork. Mark Adams is our icon guy and I know that he would hunt down the icons IF he was to work on this.

I counted a grand total of FOUR icons we need for the Wagram game:

1. Line infantry
2. Chasseur cavalry
3. Line Artillery
4. Supply Wagon

I am basing this on Bowden's OB in his Armies on the Danube book. The OB is found after the French Wagram OB. The Poles seemed to only have Line infantry (no legere regts), Chasseur cav (no lancers at this time) and foot artillery.

If you know of other unit types let me know.

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 pm 

Bill,
off course they're zipped.
The only one I sent you wasn't, because it was small and just wanted to try, whether it could come through. We'll try again.

Comte de Liege
Duc de la Moskova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:40 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anything I do will have to be a formal HPS release (Patch) thus I cant use any existing artwork. Mark Adams is our icon guy and I know that he would hunt down the icons IF he was to work on this.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I try to send you EC release Raszyn battle today.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am basing this on Bowden's OB in his Armies on the Danube book. The OB is found after the French Wagram OB. The Poles seemed to only have Line infantry (no legere regts), Chasseur cav (no lancers at this time) and foot artillery.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

right, Poles have no legere units but at Raszyn were Uhlans remignents if I good remember :)

<center><font color="orange"><h4> Marechal Zbyszek Pietras
1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Cheval, Vieille Garde
16th Division V Corps Armee du Rhin</font id="orange">
<font color="orange">Duc de Danzig, Comte de Bourges</font id="orange"></h4></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:41 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomasz</i>
<br />Zbyszek: that's what I was thinking of! Remember our bloody engagement at Raszyn? [:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

old good times ....

<center><font color="orange"><h4> Marechal Zbyszek Pietras
1er Regiment de Chasseurs a Cheval, Vieille Garde
16th Division V Corps Armee du Rhin</font id="orange">
<font color="orange">Duc de Danzig, Comte de Bourges</font id="orange"></h4></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:57 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zbyszek</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Tomasz - We would need Polish icons. I do not believe that that will happen and I dont have topo materials to do the Polish campaign as of yet. George Nafziger has a nice book(let) on that part of the campaign which I have ordered. Perhaps I can add this as part of a future title. I think you can understand that the Italian theater was much more important than the Polish. The forces from the south were able to link up with those in Austria proper. I did add in the VII Corps for those that wanted more Austrians and the option to have Ferdinand closer to Vienna.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you need Polish icons/pictures/OOB/maps from 1809 north campaign just tell me what do you need :)

Some time ago we made - with Marcin Mystkowski - Raszyn for old battleground engine and HPS 1.01 too. We are ready for cooperate :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I sen you an email.

<center>--------------------------------------------------------

Herr Windbagenführer General der Infanterie Scott Prinz Ludwig von Saxe-Weimar
(Old Windy) (Windbagfrankfurter) (The Mad Prussian)
Aide-du-Kamp and Webmaster
Kommandeur Garde-Grenadiere-Korps & 3. Infanterie-Brigade
Heer am Niederrhein
Preußische Armee

[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com/"]Königliche Preußische Armee[/url]

[url="http://www.networkforgood.org"]Network for Good[/url]

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:26 am 

Here is my answer on this one:

If you guys want to put together a module of maps and scenarios and (optionally) a campaign file, then I will try and get the Pole icons created for the set.

Use the Wagram icons - do not send me a new set. Add in the Polish icons that you will need for the game after the rest of the icons in the existing set. Use the same mappings to the icons in your OB file.

If I cant get John/Mark/Joe to make up new Polish icons then I will get John to code your maps to work with the Wagram game. Your work would then be an expansion set that I would have added to Rich's site (where we have all of our unofficial work). If John/Mark/Joe make up the icons then your module would be part of a patch.

I do not have time to devote to this work. If you want to make up a campaign file then let me know and I can send you the base artwork for the campaign picture maps. They MUST match the ones for Wagram so the module matches the game.

Thus my final decision is that I cant help on this other than to oversee the end product's integration into the game. You guys will have to make up the maps. We cant use maps from a former free set as I dont want to get into a war with freelance website hosts over property. And I am not going to pay for mapwork at this point as I am already committed to paying someone to do maps for future work.

Yeah, this sounds like of like I am accepting work for free and getting paid for it. However, I have spent MORE on the games I am sure than that which I have received, am a full time student living on pennies at this point and dont really feel obligated to add this to the game. I could think of other portions of the campaign that could have been added like a map of the Pressburg area for instance. Just didnt have the time or resources to do it. At one point I wanted to link Vienna to Raab. Just wont happen I am afraid.

Please consider this as my last comment in this thread. Please contact me about this via email. Much thanks!

(btw spending more on these games than what I make is over guys. Future titles will never have the amount of new mapwork as what you will see in my next release - I am relying heavily on updating old work or making smaller maps - this is the reality of the wargame design industry)

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:48 am 

Gents,

do You hear what Bill say?

What an offer! The Polish campaign in 1806 contain some nice small
gems like Eylau and Friedland [:D]

Sorry I was a bit dreaming, the Polish campaign in 1809
would be very good indeed [;)]

Regards
Hauptmann
Ola Berli