Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:25 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Andy Barnes - did you get my email of over a week ago? Sent it to you via the forum. Sent a second one but havent heard back from you.

Please respond via wmp3662@yahoo.com

(Am not afraid of this email address getting spammed. Yahoo has a nice folder where all of the junk gets put and you just flush it every so often. I use it for any wargame sites that demand an email address as part of letting you in.)

Bill Peters

Hi Bill,
i did reply mate.I have sent a mail to the address you posted:-)
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

[url="http://www.fireandmelee.net"]Fire and Melee Wargame site[/url]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:35 am 

<b>Gentlemen. Let us return the discussion to the level of civility and decorum that Helga expects.</b>

FZM Freiherr Gary McClellan
Generalissimus Imperial Austrian Army
Portner Grenadier Battallion
Allied Coalition C-in-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:39 am 
Thanks Andy, apologies accepted.

Colonel Al Amos
1erè Brigade Commandant
2ème Division de Dragons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:12 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />Rick,

People have been playing chess for many years...do they have any plans of kicking it to the curb? I think not. [8D]

I'm open to new technology and new titles, as I think most everyone is. However, PBEM play is about the only format of gaming I can fit into my life, so unless a new titles supports that, there's little chance it will get much of my attention.

And I would personally appreciate it if you would stop berating the Tiller titles and how "poor" you think they are. Whether you mean it or not, it comes across very negatively. If you personally have a better product to put forth, then do so. I'm on the front lines daily, and come across people newly finding the games who are really enjoying them. And I personally have been playing John's games since '97...so that speaks of very high quality, in my book.

To say nothing new will ever come about is an uninformed guess, at best. HPS/Tiller has a long standing policy of not discussing things under development. I personally have been involved in several projects that have been going on for years. So, in time, new things do come about.

When these two new games you keep mentioning come out, and people get a chance to play them, I'm sure there will be a decent amount of discussion about them. But I think we all have seen, far too many times, where a title is"hyped" prior to release only to fall flat on it's face shortly there after, or maybe never even make it out the door. Certainly not saying I hope that happens here, quite the opposite, but I'm pretty sure it's why you are not seeing a lot of enthusiasm at this point for the topics you keep bringing up.

Regards,
Rich

Maréchal Hamilton, Baron d'Barbancon
21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Saxon Leib-Garde, de la Jeune Garde, Garde Impériale

Rich,

With all due respect.....

<font color="orange">1. Are any of these new projects that you've mentioned, a re-write of the HPS Napoleonic engine??

2. Are any of these new projects that you've mentioned, a new HPS Napoleonic game?</font id="orange">

To think that there is any harm in saying "yes" to those questions is crazy. The only reason I can see for not saying "yes" when that really is their answer, is to be deceptive. The only problem is that deception is being perpetrated upon those that support them, namely us.

I don't have to keep saying how "poor" (your word, not mine) these games are. I am not compiling and publishing lists. Anyone who studies the tactical warfare of the Napoleonic Era and then plays these games sees the flaws for themselves. All I am saying (to everyone when they see the flaws,) is that there finally is hope.

The hope that I am talking about happens to be coming from folks other than John Tiller or HPS and we have a right to talk about that here.

I say again : We are NOT the <font color="orange">HPS Wargaming Club</font id="orange"> or the <font color="orange">John Tiller Wargaming Club.</font id="orange">

<font color="orange">We</font id="orange"> are the <font color="red"><b>NAPOLEONIC Wargaming Club.</b></font id="red">

While we have loads of gratitude for what has already happened, I am unaware that we owe allegiance to any single game designer or publisher. You may, but as far as I can tell, we don't.

Say, just what is your relationship with HPS again? You and Bill Peters work for them, right? Who else that posts here, works for HPS?

Here is the link to the Staff at HPS. It "seems" incomplete. : http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/About%20Us/staff.html (Nice outfit there Rich.)

Then there is the HPS pets. As far as I can tell none of them post here. [;)] : http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/About%20Us/Pets/Pets.html (By the way, those are an incredible bunch of <font color="orange"><b>GREAT</b></font id="orange"> looking cats. Is it true that one of them really is Bill Peters? [;)] ) [:)]

Let's end all this crazy deception once and for all. Help us to have something to cheer about and look forward to. If there really is nothing, then someone with the appropriate authority should come out into the open and say so. Don't you think?

Regards,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko
1er Bataillon, 33° Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
2eme Brigade, 11eme division
IIIe corps, Armée du Nord

Vive l'Empereur!

(Modified only to correct spelling errors.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:37 am 

Col. Motko

I will first of all say, with first candor, that yes, I'm involved with HPS as a playtester. (Look at your copy of Wagram for instance).

That disclosure aside, I don't believe that the problem is so much that you are dissatisfied with the HPS games, but simply that you are "beating a dead horse" as it were. You take every opportunity to attack and belittle the HPS games, and push the various new games that are out there.

As a member of Cabinet, I can give you my personal assurance:
<b>If the new tactical games come out during my tenure on the Cabinet, I will champion the effort to see if they are able to be used in the club.</b> That is my personal promise to you, and to everyone. I do not promise we will use them, just simply that I will be sure they are given fair consideration for that purpose.

However, the constant attacks on HPS (and that's what they are, regardless of your trying to cover your tracks), get tiresome for everyone, regardless of which side "of the line" they may be on. I ask, no, beg that you moderate your approach, not use every opportunity to belittle HPS and push the new games.

Yes, as new information on the new games comes along, share it with us! Absolutely! I want to hear news, see screenshots, and all of that.

However, if all you have to say is "HPS is bad, the new games will be great!" We've heard it, again and again. The horse is dead and buried.

<b>ETA: After rereading your post, I notice that you specifically accused HPS of Deception. That is an extremely serious charge for you to throw out there. It is not a mere term of discussion or debate, but an accusation that HPS is acting an in unethical manner. I would strongly advise you to use more consideration in your choice of language. </b>

Allied Coalition C-in-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:48 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />Rick,

People have been playing chess for many years...do they have any plans of kicking it to the curb? I think not. [8D]

I'm open to new technology and new titles, as I think most everyone is. However, PBEM play is about the only format of gaming I can fit into my life, so unless a new titles supports that, there's little chance it will get much of my attention.
Hey why is the poosy word banned,doesnt anyone have a poosy at home who they love ? Our Poosys are part of the familly.Why does every silly word have to be banned.Hey wasnt it you yanks who made the word poosy dirty?In Britain it has always been a gentle nickname for our cats and you yanks come along and turn it into a dirty word which is banned in forums:-(((( Al im sorry i wasnt bieng gutteral here.
And I would personally appreciate it if you would stop berating the Tiller titles and how "poor" you think they are. Whether you mean it or not, it comes across very negatively. If you personally have a better product to put forth, then do so. I'm on the front lines daily, and come across people newly finding the games who are really enjoying them. And I personally have been playing John's games since '97...so that speaks of very high quality, in my book.

To say nothing new will ever come about is an uninformed guess, at best. HPS/Tiller has a long standing policy of not discussing things under development. I personally have been involved in several projects that have been going on for years. So, in time, new things do come about.

When these two new games you keep mentioning come out, and people get a chance to play them, I'm sure there will be a decent amount of discussion about them. But I think we all have seen, far too many times, where a title is"hyped" prior to release only to fall flat on it's face shortly there after, or maybe never even make it out the door. Certainly not saying I hope that happens here, quite the opposite, but I'm pretty sure it's why you are not seeing a lot of enthusiasm at this point for the topics you keep bringing up.

Regards,
Rich

21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Rich,

<font color="orange">1. Are any of these new projects that you've mentioned, a re-write of the HPS Napoleonic engine??

2. Are any of these new projects that you've mentioned, a new HPS Napoleonic game?</font id="orange">

To think that there is any harm in saying "yes" to those questions is crazy. The only reason I can see for not saying "yes" when that really is their answer, is to be deceptive. The only problem is that deception is being perpetrated upon those that support them, namely us.

I don't have to keep saying how "poor" (your word, not mine) these games are. I am not compiling and publishing lists. Anyone who studies the tactical warfare of the Napoleonic Era and then plays these games sees the flaws for themselves. All I am saying (to everyone when they see the flaws,) is that there finally is hope.

The hope that I am talking about happens to be coming from folks other than John Tiller or HPS and we have a right to talk about that here.

I say again : We are NOT the <font color="orange">HPS Wargaming Club</font id="orange"> or the <font color="orange">John Tiller Wargaming Club.</font id="orange">

<font color="orange">We</font id="orange"> are the <font color="red"><b>NAPOLEONIC Wargaming Club.</b></font id="red">

While we have loads of gratitude for what has already happened, I am unaware that we owe allegiance to any single game designer or publisher. You may, but as far as I can tell, we don't.

Say, just what is your relationship with HPS again? You and Bill Peters work for them, right? Who else that posts here, works for HPS?

Here is the link to the Staff at HPS. It "seems" incomplete. : http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/About%20Us/staff.html (Nice outfit there Rich.)

Then there is the HPS pets. As far as I can tell none of them post here. [;)] : http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/About%20Us/Pets/Pets.html (By the way, those are an incredible bunch of <font color="orange"><b>GREAT</b></font id="orange"> looking cats. Is it true that one of them really is Bill Peters? [;)] ) [:)]

Let's end all this crazy deception once and for all. Help us to have something to cheer about and look forward to. If there really is nothing, then someone with the appropriate authority should come out into the open and say so. Don't you think?

Regards,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Hey Rick,
i love cats mate.We have two, Findus and Micky.You may laugh at HPS but cats and perhaps other animals have a very positive influence on human biengs.I know when im really stressed just lying down next to Findus and talking to him really brings me back down to earth.(you all think im nuts now dont you?)Cats can help you relax.There is nothing better than sitting in front of the fire listening to soothing music and having a nice warm ***** on your lap[:)]Seriously my cat keeps me fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:18 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Rick,
i love cats mate.We have two, Findus and Micky.You may laugh at HPS but cats and perhaps other animals have a very positive influence on human biengs.I know when im really stressed just lying down next to Findus and talking to him really brings me back down to earth.(you all think im nuts now dont you?)Cats can help you relax.There is nothing better than sitting in front of the fire listening to soothing music and having a nice warm ***** on your lap[:)]Seriously my cat keeps me fit.

You are only crazy if you think your cat talks back to you [:p]

Monsieur le Marechal Baron John Corbin
Duc de Paive
Commanding the Division de Cavalerie de la Jeune Garde
NWC President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:26 am 

Anyway, to answer your previous question: Who here that posts "works" for HPS?

Depends on how you define "works for". The only people who post here that are under the employ of HPS (or have been) that I know of are Rich Hamilton, Bill Peters, Charlie Cutshall, Al Amos (FIW) and David Guegan (France 40). Notice, the last two are not even in Napoleonic projects.

How many have been involved with HPS projects as playtesters? That's a rather larger number, one that you can discover if you look at the playtester screens in the game intros. I'd have to go back and look at the intro screens for Eckmuhl, Waterloo and NRC to remember all the names. Of course, I was involved with Wagram, as were several others.

Allied Coalition C-in-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:43 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Corbin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Rick,

Duc de Paive
NWC President

John,

And this is the reason why Andy Barnes' is the[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]1NWCG's[/url][/center] best kept secret and an unoffical club perk...[:D][:p][}:)]

He maybe gruff sometimes, tough on the language, but it is these random one zinger off the wall stories and stuff that he tells that are the reason why we all keep coming back to our forum. Colorful, funny but a decent kind hearted man, with a Welsh flair, our club would hardly be anything without him. [:D][:p][}:)]

Andy you are beloved by so many in our realm, I think even more than Roise the barmaid...[:D][8D][:p]

Seriously though Andy thanks for all the good memories and the hard work, I really can't wait to met you in person in real life. [:D][:p] All I can say is 2015 Waterloo, be there or be square. [:D]

<center>--------------------------------------------------------

Herr Windbagenführer General der Infanterie Scott Prinz Ludwig von Saxe-Weimar
Aide-du-Kamp and Webmaster
Heer am Niederrhein

[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com/"]Königliche Preußische Armee[/url]

[url="http://www.networkforgood.org"]Network for Good[/url]

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:52 am 

John and Andy,

My wife and I have two cats (Scooter and Tucker). (I was just playing "catch" with one before reading your posts). They're brothers and they are as important to us as any child could be. [:)]

Now John, what if you don't think, but rather <u>know</u> that your cat talks back to you? Does that still make you crazy? [;)]

Cheers,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by etrapanob</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Andy Barnes - did you get my email of over a week ago? Sent it to you via the forum. Sent a second one but havent heard back from you.

Please respond via wmp3662@yahoo.com

(Am not afraid of this email address getting spammed. Yahoo has a nice folder where all of the junk gets put and you just flush it every so often. I use it for any wargame sites that demand an email address as part of letting you in.)

Bill Peters

Hi Bill,
i did reply mate.I have sent a mail to the address you posted:-)
Former NWC President, Club Founder, Prussian and Austrian Army Founder, Stefan Reuter's hunting buddy. HPS Napoleonic Scenario Designer (Eckmuhl, Wagram)

Andy - Ok. Email must have gotten hijacked via the forum. I sent you a note today. Hope you get it. If you dont get anything from me let me know here. Otherwise just respond to the emails.

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:54 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Le Tondu</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />Rick,

Regards,
Rich

21st Division
VII Corps, ADR

Rich,

Regards,
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

I love cats! Yeah, call me a cool cat! [:p]

You are right on the money. This is a club forum and while it was formed to play the BG games we added in the HPS games after much discussion. I mean MUCH discussion.

No new title is a given (Note the thread of the new MP game by Matrix) but to discount the idea of new games goes against my campaign platform as NWC President.

It should never be construed here that any of us at HPS is for a John Tiller ONLY set of games in this club.

I like your enthusiasm Rick. I have looked over the screenshots for the Doubleshot/Matrix game and like what is being offered.

Rich make a very valid point on release - folks often talk it up and then the game falls flat or doesnt generate the interest that the fan club thought it would.

However, if what has come out from Frank Hunter before (the 1806 and 1805/1809 campaign games) was any indication of his ability AND based on what Tim has conceived along with tons of input from the folks on many forums he may just have what I have been looking for in a Napolenic game.

I never played Age of Rifles much (the interface bothered me) but I will offer up ONE big suggestion: these new games need to work in a WINDOW. The old DOS days are over. Get the game in a Window. Unless its a flight simultor that hogs the graphics card there is no reason why a turn based game should be in its own Win32 "box" - that is old and archaic.

So I got in my one criticism of any game that is turn based and has a static map. I am not criticising any game that is like Combat Mission where ALOT of things move but for the Matrix games that is my one pet peeve.

I love Uncommon Valor but the screens get in the way of the map.

A WINDOW is a must. Pass that along to Tim and Frank if you get a chance. I would rate no turn based game any higher than 7 that is NOT in a WINDOW. Sorry but them are the facts. We all have our own opinion and that is mine.

Otherwise - bring on the games. This is the NWC and whatever is best for the members has got to be ok with me.

Bill Peters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:00 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SLudwig</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Corbin</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Rick,

Duc de Paive
NWC President

John,

And this is the reason why Andy Barnes' is the[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]1NWCG's[/url]</center> best kept secret and an unoffical club perk...[:D][:p][}:)]

He maybe gruff sometimes, tough on the language, but it is these random one zinger off the wall stories and stuff that he tells that are the reason why we all keep coming back to our forum. Colorful, funny but a decent kind hearted man, with a Welsh flair, our club would hardly be anything without him. [:D][:p][}:)]

Andy you are beloved by so many in our realm, I think even more than Roise the barmaid...[:D][8D][:p]

Seriously though Andy thanks for all the good memories and the hard work, I really can't wait to met you in person in real life. [:D][:p] All I can say is 2015 Waterloo, be there or be square. [:D]

<center>--------------------------------------------------------

Herr Windbagenführer General der Infanterie Scott Prinz Ludwig von Saxe-Weimar
Aide-du-Kamp and Webmaster
Heer am Niederrhein

[url="http://www.prussianarmy.com/"]Königliche Preußische Armee[/url]

[url="http://www.networkforgood.org"]Network for Good[/url]

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url][/center]

Holy Cow Scott im going to be 65 in 2015 [:I]But if im alive and kicking and havent been locked away for bieng senile,ill be there mate.
Hey how many of us are, or if in good health by that time are gonna be alive? Big issue how many cats are going to be alive.My Findus might just make it.
The only reason i didnt name my cat Napoleon was my kids.They said to me Dad youd look so dumb standing on the porch at night shouting
" Napoleon NAPOLEON here Napoleon HERE NAPPY NAPPY NAPPY" ...we all do it guys!!! dont mock me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 am 

<br />John and Andy,

My wife and I have two cats (Scooter and Tucker). (I was just playing "catch" with one before reading your posts). They're brothers and they are as important to us as any child could be. [:)]

Now John, what if you don't think, but rather <u>know</u> that your cat talks back to you? Does that still make you crazy? [;)]

Cheers,

Rick how can you call your cats Scooter and Tucker?? The poor cats... have you ever thought that these poor creatures have to live with those names?I mean can you imagine your poor cats have just been put out for the night and they meet up with some really hot little Siames Cat chicks...The galls from the far east ask "Hi im Emerald and this is my friend Diamond what are your names?" and your cats answer "SCOOTER AND TUCKER" holy cow Rick take your cats down to the local "change your cats names office" and rechristen them,hey you could call one of them "Battleground" thats a great name for a cat[:D]
Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />

I love cats! Yeah, call me a cool cat! [:p]

.............So I got in my one criticism of any game that is turn based and has a static map. I am not criticising any game that is like Combat Mission where ALOT of things move but for the Matrix games that is my one pet peeve.......

A WINDOW is a must. Pass that along to Tim and Frank if you get a chance. I would rate no turn based game any higher than 7 that is NOT in a WINDOW. Sorry but them are the facts. We all have our own opinion and that is mine.

Otherwise - bring on the games. This is the NWC and whatever is best for the members has got to be ok with me.

Bill Peters

Bill,

Cats are the best. They teach us a lot if you're willing to learn from them. [:)]

Thanks for the history lesson about the HPS games.

I completely understand that a window is a must for any turn based game. With multi-tasking what it is these days, many programs can be running at one time. Email, HPS: Waterloo, MS Word, Internet Express, etc..... I'm with you there. [:)]

Did you know that Combat Mission acts like it is playing in its own window. All you have to do is hit something like the escape key and you are quickly back at the desktop. With CMAK, there is an undocumented hotkey combination where you have to hit the following three keys "Alt-Shift-;" (once) to turn it on. Hit them again to turn it off. It will stay the way that you select even after you turn the game off. I think this has something to do with Combat Mission being designed on the Mac.

Andy,

When we adopted our cats, we had to promise to keep them as indoor kittys. So no more calling out at night. Oh my. This reminds me of our first cat "Boogie" and going out at night and looking for him was how I discovered his ran-over remains. My wife was away visiting the in-laws and I was all by myself. No way. I'm not going to go through that again.

Rick

Colonel Rick Motko

Vive l'Empereur!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next