Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Training resources?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:03 am 

I've been looking through the various archives to try and find useful topics explaining the Napoleonic systems and tactics in game terms. Not necessarily Allied specific stuff but just a good "Newbie" guide. Are there any AAR's highly regarded for tactical instruction purposes?

I've picked up a couple of Napoleonic military history books but whilst they usually describe the "what, where & when" I could really use something explaining the "how". Any suggestions for useful reading there?

I've jumped in with a few introductory battles but there is a lot to become competent with as far as handling the various arms goes.

First off, something about skirmisher use would be very handy. I'm troubled by countless skirmisher units running around all over the place. I expected to find some strict house rules governing their deployment in battle? For example: Shouldn't they be expected or required to stay within a certain distance of their parent unit / command organisation?

I could direct specific questions at fellow officers but then I only get a certain opinion when a general consensus would be more useful.

I Corps (Dutch-Belgian),
Anglo-Allied Army.

Post subject: Re: Training resources?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 am 

Skirmishers are normally required to stay within 2 or 3 hexes of formed friendly units except when in cover. However, like any house rule, that has to be agreed between opponents. With the move-melee-move you can often eliminate units or stacks; or use cavalry to overrun the things if they stray away too far - I don't find them much of an issue if they are used as commandos. In the BG games they are indeed more of an issue so I'm a bit more stricter in implementing that house rule there.

Post subject: Re: Training resources?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 am 

Often you have to find opponents that enjoy playing the way you do. For instance do they like to pack up the entire army on turn 1 and start moving it all over the map? Start melees at the drop of a hat.

I prefer to find an opponent who uses reserves, uses his troops wisely and gives me a good game. Using supply wagons as shields, skirmishers as lone wolf commando units, Col Anonymous as a long range scout, all that tends to disappoint my playing enjoyment.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)