Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Napoleon Total War?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm 

Just being my curious self, I was wondering if any fellow Generals out there Play Napoleon: Total War? I do own the game myself, but I haven't had a chance to really get into it yet. I was curious what all of you out there in the Napoleonic gaming world think of it? or if it has even been tried by anyone here? It looks very exciting. What do we all think about this title?

Post subject: Re: Napoleon Total War?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm 

Is this the one that you have to spend money for more unit types? If it is the one I think it is it just did not grab my fancy.

I have the Total War series too. I like the Medieval one the best. Both I & II are good games. Roman one was ok ... older Shogun one was good too.

"Your general is fleeing the field!" :mrgreen:

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:42 pm 

Gentlemen i have NTW but we do not play this vanilla game, Napoleonic Total War 3 is the mod Lordz Modding Collective did for this game and this is napoleonic; i suggest it to everyone who like real time strategy games as well.

Here is the details of this ntw mod: http://www.thelordz.org/mods.html
lordz forum: http://www.thelordz.org/forum/

and this is the clan i am in for 2 years and playing NTW3 with if anyone interested:
Napoleonics: http://www.napoleonics.net/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:29 pm 

Lt.,

This looks amazing. I am currently downloading this to my current NTW!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:09 pm 

Fred please give me your steam id, mine is http://steamcommunity.com/id/lancier77 so i can add you to my list for some battles.
or you can use lordz steam group chat room to arrange some battles: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NTW3
european night hours especially, starting from 19 gmt are busy hours for dusty NTW3 battlefields in the lobby. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:30 pm 

The price was so cheap I ordered a copy. Will load up the Lordz module once I get it installed.

Question: do you make a second copy of the game or just install it separately? I have installed a module for the MW2 game but it's been some time ...

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:20 pm 

Thats good Bill.
I post here installation issue but you don't have to do anything in fact, it has its own self installer.

After you install the mod simply login to steam, check for steam updates then click on ntw3 shotcut on your desktop and use NTW3 MP button for some lobby games. As i mentioned european prime time is busy but there are also american/canadian players too for that timezone (napoleonics clan members mostly). You can join battles shown white in the lobby which are ntw3 games, red ones are for ntw vanilla.

If you have any problems lordz forum or team speak (if you have mic. and headphones) is the best way to get some support.

For Lordz TS:
http://teamspeak.com/
Quote:
Adress: vs2.tserverhq.com:2059
Password: 1815

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:22 pm 

I would have to do some disconnecting of my network setup to play online. Dumb phone modem box has a firewall that I have never been able to decipher. I would have to play straight from the Cable modem with only the Windows firewall protecting me. Thus I never play online for that reason. I will just set the AI to have the advantage.

I do terrible in RTS online. It becomes too much of a click fest. And latency tends to screw things up too.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:27 am 

Hello Bill. I would prefer a bit laggy game to a AI game. Sorry but TW AI can not do it, the only way for this game is MP with other players. By the way for click fest, the tension is always high, i agree. :wink:

An example of a 4v4 MP battle just before start from a players view (there is fog of war)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:46 am 

Well kind of a bummer - I got the game installed but the download from the Lordz site stopped at 13% install. These files are huge! Sheesh. Guess I will download it again.

The install path is very hard to figure. Do I point it where I installed my game?

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:00 pm 

You have also tweaked my ineterest so I ordered the game and got a Steam account. :D

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:19 pm 

They need to hire JMM so that you can command more units in a battle!

Always one of the things about TW that irked me. If you have more units than in the army queue then you must wait and bring them on later as reinforcements ...

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 pm 

Bill you are lucky you can play with more units without waiting :)
in this menu press historical battles, it will lead you crowded ones:
Quote:
III- Historical scenarios

Napoleon's Eagles deals with the historical engagements of the Napoleonic era. It represents the true ‘grognard’ companion to the NTW3 classic mod. The battles are carefully researched and recreated with detailed OOBs, uniforms, and historical behavior.

Maps were created from 1:25000 scale topographical data, villages represented with their correct layout and stronghold positions. Realistic terrain effects impact heavily on the unit movement and behavior. Historical battles play in a more realistic fashion, they are slower and fatigue settings are harder.

It would be best to familiarize yourselves with the historical battles prior to playing them. In the final release, the orders of battles, the map analysis and other features (victory conditions, starting positions, delays etc...) will be published to allow an offline study of these battles.

These battles are meant to be played in MP, playing them on LAN with AI will cause significant lag on some PCs while the AI tries to manage a huge number of units.

Version 1 offers:

Battles from Napoleon’s 2nd Italian campaign: Marengo and Montebello.

Here the numerous Austrian army of FM Melas will face the more mobile divisions of the Reserve Army of Napoleon.

The first volume of the 1806 campaign: Auerstädt

The epic struggle between Prussia and the French "decima legio" of marshal Davout's III Corps. Recreated with a wonderful autumn map, the Prussian player(s) field more than 90 units in the full scenario.

The Battle of Austerlitz, or the battle of the THREE EMPERORS.

Here you will try to recreate Napoleon's most impressive military victory or try to restore virtual dignity to the Austro-Russian coalition. Who knows, if you do well Prussia might throw her lot with you and declare war on the French empire.

The battle of Waterloo.

Probably the most famous of the Napoleonic battles. You will get to recreate the fight for Hougoumont, the attack of D'Erlon's corps, the charge of the Middle Guard...Will you change history and beat Wellington before Blucher arrives? Or will you still be driven to abdicate?

Other included battles: Aspern-Essling, Hohenlinden and Eylau.

Unique to Napoleon’s Eagles is the ability to control an entire army.

This would mean, playing Marengo on a 1vs1 basis will offer each player the challenge to manage more than 80 units, playing the same battle on 2vs2 will give players 40 units each on so on.

To access these wonderful engagements please use the scenario battles instead of land battles when hosting. You will have the opportunity to pick how many players will be on each side from there. Please note that sometimes the players will see very few units available to them in the pre-loading screen but in fact they will have an appropriate army in game.

Quatre Bras and Jena coming with version2 as well soon. This is NTW3 Historical Battles steam group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ntw3_hb

but before you do that please try 20 slot lobby MP games, i am sure you will like them too.

The path my game is installed is this(i use vista):
"C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon"