Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:07 pm 

Celebrate the anniversaries of the many battles of August through October as found in Jena or Leipzig Campaign. Mark Nelms and I are playing a Battle of Dennewitz (non club) game. Set in September 1813 it's one of my fav.s from the Leipzig game.

Many others in those two games that should get more playing ....

A long time back Paco and I played the Berlin Campaign from CP Leipzig. Big map situation and lots of variables involved.

While back in Calif. I played a miniatures Battle of Wartenburg. Really enjoyed that in that one of my mentors in miniatures gaming was the guy setting up the scenario and I now had a lot more knowledge on the period than I did as a "wee lad green around the gills" of 17 years old when he and first locked horns on the miniature table. (FYI - His Swedes wiped out my Russians in a campaign battle ...)

Jena has several enjoyable scenarios as well. I love the scenarios set in October where its superior infantry firepower for the Prussians/Saxons vs. the "avant" mentality of La Grande Armee.

The leaves will fall soon! Take up the call.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:05 pm 

A splendid idea Bill!

Battle of Wartenburg is one I've enjoyed over the years. :frenchhappy: Dennewitz is a great one as well. I've actually enjoyed several Jena scenarios over the years too.

I'll have to dust off the old sword and look for a game in one of these soon. :thumbsup:

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:59 am 

Victory at Großbeeren!!

Kavallerie-Präsentiermarsch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5D-O9UkyRk

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:30 pm 

Dennewitz is one of my favorite scenarios. Both sides can attack and defend and both sides have good, pretty well balanced armys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:27 pm 

Yes, Jim, its a "mini Battle of Leipzig" in that the French hold the central position initially and can more easily shift their forces from one front to the next.

Allied player advice .... you have to capture Niedergorsdorf (hex 89, 40) as soon as you can unless the French occupy it (like I am doing in my game with Mark) as that way you can link up the two Prussian corps. Otherwise the 4th Corps is isolated ...

Mark and I are past 1 PM now and I have occupied a location with the IV Corps I have never done before. I hold Wolmsdorf (hex 78, 47) and Niedergorsdorf and its denying him the key link up position. Meanwhile, one of my divisions is racing for Juterbog and a small fight has broken out there .... Have I spread out my forces too much?

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:37 am 

I'm on turn 200 of Operational Leipzig. Really great game!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:29 am 

Super, Andy! And Paco and Ken are playing one of the big Battle of Leipzig scenarios too. I was asked to look at it for them. Interesting how it is playing out. They are taking a break from it right now while Paco is away.

My Dennewitz game with Mark Nelms is going well. We are moving along at a nice pace. Enjoying the game while I work on WW2 games.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:59 am 

Jim Pfleck wrote:
Dennewitz is one of my favorite scenarios. Both sides can attack and defend and both sides have good, pretty well balanced armys

Yes, its one of my fav. scenarios to play. The Prussians have a mix of high and low morale as do the French.

Prussian 3rd Korps is my fav. in the series. Nice mix of artwork, good cavalry, nice infantry and only 1/3 Ldw.

4th Korps is the other way around and has to be nurtured along. I have been able to keep Mark from uniting the two corps in my game and now its my primary strategy for future games. Drive a wedge between the two by moving 4th French Corps west to take advanced position so that 3rd Korps cannot get to that key bridge .... I took it on the nose but now VII Corps is arriving with the rest of the III Cav Corps.

My thoughts now go to how to defeat my plan for future games where I will play the Allies.

NWC Founding Member