Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:16 pm 

I noted a comment left by Mike Davies on the WDS blog announcement for the 4.03 updates recently put out that a Napoleon in Egypt game would be nice. I also add that really to make the game "robust" you need to more or less include the Turkish Campaigns of the Napoleonic Wars. As the battles were not huge in numbers it makes more sense to feature the game more or less in that light. The Egyptian Campaign really did not have a lot of battles. Battle of the Pyramids, Siege at Acre, Alexandria, etc. And all small affairs. Its a "niche title" for sure.

I think if you added in the other campaigns, especially vs. the Russians, there would be more interest.

A reminder as to why I didn't add those battles into Marnego: no Sand terrain. I wish we had Sand terrain for the Battle of Bergen (RBR). For that battle I had to use an alternate choice and it really doesn't do it justice. Sand would not Disorder upon entering like Broken does. Terribly slow, yes! There is an area of dunes in Noord Holland that need that kind of terrain. As John Tiller just never had the time to add it in well maybe its something that could be added in via a new update.

But just some of my thoughts on the Egyptian game. I know that many would like to see a full title on Egypt, or just to have the battles included, but until Sand is a terrain type (and vineyard would be nice too) I dont see it happening. (not speaking for WDS here .... just from my past experience working with JT ... as always send notes regarding your interest for such a game to Rich or post something on the WDS public forum)

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:49 am 

Thanks Bill,

The lack of sand terrain feature hadn't occurred to me (any chance we could borrow some from El Alamein?!)

Adding in the Russian and Ottoman unpleasantness would certainly add weight to a Napoleonic Middle Eastern title, some extremely exotic troop types. It could also be a platform to develop a Crimean or Sudan title if that could fit into the workloads at WDS (which I suspect are significant)

Cavalry Corps

Dum vivimus vivamus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:15 am 

I know it would be beyond my abilities. The source material would not be easy to acquire. I would include the Balkan campaigns in the game too.

I have never studied the various Austro-Turkish campaigns in the Balkans since they were of little consequence to the overall Napoleonic Wars. This morning I decided to take a look at some of the campaigns to get a better feel for how they did affect the diplomacy of the European situation. One "battle" if you can call it that, was fought on the night of 21–22 September 1788, during the Austro-Turkish War of 1787–1791. One Austrian soldier fired off a musket at some of their own hussars and in due course panic spread throughout the army that the Turks were attacking!

The Battle of Karánsebes, as it is known, was a "battle" whereby the only casualties suffered "by both sides" were in one army! Similar accounts may have happened during the War of 1812 in Russia as the French retreated but I found this account to be semi-humorous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kar%C3%A1nsebes

If WDS or "MOD" designers were to come up with Turkish unit graphics then these minor campaigns could be tucked into the RBR game as all of the Hapsburg unit images are already available, barring any uniform changes from the early Rev. War time frame. Would not need Sand terrain.

I plan on continuing my read throughout the Fall. Not exactly exciting reading but the entire Balkans situation throughout history fascinates me.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 am 

Helion have published a book on the Ottoman Army during the Napoleonic Wars, might be helpful.

My artistic and It skills wouldn't stretch to being much help I'm afraid

Cavalry Corps

Dum vivimus vivamus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:12 am 

Yes, I am pretty much off the Napoleonic series. Not sure if Rich Hamilton would pursue it. Its really niche market stuff and with all of the games they have in design I am sure that its a title that would stay in the "for consideration" pile.

Some of the Turkish guys in our clubs might want to help out with a team and build the Ottoman OBs. I know I would never do it justice.

NWC Founding Member