Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:19 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

I am seeking the advice and guidance of the members here relating to the Napoleonic game titles detailed below. My question is directed particularly to those members who have played and are experienced with these Napoleonic titles. I have already decided upon my proposed purchases for the sale including CWB, Naps and WW2 games, 7 titles selected. My question therefore relates to getting additional Napoleonic games and in particular the following titles from that series whilst the sale is on.

The easy answer is obviously...get them all ! I regret however that with my 7 chosen games already selected I cannot manage during the course of the sale to get the additional 5 titles below, 2 or 3 at the maximum in all likelihood.

Peninsular Campaign - both games
Napoleons Russian Campaign
Campaign Bautzen
Campaign 1814

I would very much appreciate your recommendations regarding the foregoing games, they all look great and they are all campaigns of interest to me. I particularly enjoy big games with big maps and armies with lots of maneuver and positioning as opposed to solely line 'em up and shoot 'em down type games.

Many thanks in advance gentlemen.

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

WDS Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg, Corinth, Chancellorsville, Chickamauga, Petersburg, Overland, Atlanta, Shiloh
Eckmuhl, Wagram, Russian Cmpgn, Leipzig, Bautzen, Cmpgn 1814, Bonparte's Peninsular
Scheldt '44, Bulge '44, The First Blitzkrieg, Wolfpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:20 pm 

The Peninsular isn't high on my list so I would go for the other 3.

The Russian campaign is, although not on the quality level that Bill Peters delivered, a must have. Many interesting battles with the climax at Borodino and then the devastating retreat and the battles of it that are not about victory anymore but about pure survival.

Bautzen is often overlooked because of Leipzig and because it was a rather short campaign. But it is interesting to fight with the recently resurrected Grand Armee along with all the problems it was. As Bonus Bill Peters had also covered battles of the so called "Finnish War" of 1808-09.

And then there is 1814, the endgame, Napoleon maneuvers like in the good old days and the enemy is still afraid of him and what he is about to do as he seems to be everywhere. Again a Grand Armee in a not so good state but under Napoleon it still dished hits out that lets the enemy bleed.

All in all no easy campaigns for the French but as you already have Leipzig filling the gaps around it and being able to go from 1812 to 1814 seems interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:57 pm 

NRC and Bautzen give you large battles with room to maneuver. The Battles of Lutzen and Bautzen are full of possibilities.
1814 has some large map, multiday scenarios that give lots of room to move.

Bautzen and 1814 are too lesser known gems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:54 pm 

We're working on giving Napoleon's Russian Campaign the full graphical overhaul, similar to what was done for Waterloo...should have it ready for the next update cycle. Some screen shots of the new units will be below. Will have new 3D units in the works as well. Additionally, we have a guy working on an expansion package for it - a couple new maps are already done.

57ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

2ème Brigade
2ème Division
4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:29 am 

I am a fan of all things Peninsular. For me while the battles are not huge there is a lot of tactical challenge, varied troop types and plenty of nasty surprises!

If you get either title and fancy a game please send me a courier. Although I will do my level best to get lined up and shoot as many of your chaps as possible!!

Cavalry Corps

Dum vivimus vivamus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:14 pm 

I enjoy them all. While not a huge fan of the 15 min. format, nonetheless its hard to pass on battles like Salamanca, Fuentes de Orno and other famous one from the Peninsular. For some of the BPW and WPW battles, I plan on putting out a 10 min. version using the same PDT file style I use in my other games. Same for Waterloo and NRC. My plan is also to build a Battle of Ligny scenario that will work in Campaign 1814. Rich gave the green light on that some time ago. I already have the entire 1815 OB for the French and Prussians in the 1814 game with one huge scenario that uses it. Just need to squeeze it into my design time list.

I really like NRC. Even the 15 min. versions are fine. I highly recommend it and you will be getting that lovely artwork that will be added in via the next set of updates! Cant go wrong there.

:thumbsup:

I would go with NRC and WPW. Add in the rest when you can afford it.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:43 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

My thanks to all for the insights and recommendations, truly appreciated.

Wishing all the NWC members a Very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Happy holidays :frenchvive1:

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

WDS Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg, Corinth, Chancellorsville, Chickamauga, Petersburg, Overland, Atlanta, Shiloh
Eckmuhl, Wagram, Russian Cmpgn, Leipzig, Bautzen, Cmpgn 1814, Bonparte's Peninsular
Scheldt '44, Bulge '44, The First Blitzkrieg, Wolfpack