Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:40 am 

So, in the spirit of realism, one horseman on a rainy day can stop a 1500 man infantry group in its tracks. I'm sure this happened all the time during the Napoleonic Wars so it is properly modeled in the game. But why? The game gives you a status for a melee, advantage attacker/defender/even. Soooo, if it is attacker advantage the infantry should be able to push the horseman back a hex.

If you stick that high ranking officer with the single horseman, he will be safe until the rain ends.

Lloyd's Battery, Royal Artillery
Royal Regiment of Artillery
Reserve Artillery & Engineers

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:53 am 

4.06 is out now. According to the changelog leader points are now scenario specific. For Leipzig this turned out to be a nasty shock.
It seems Col Anonymous is now worth just slightly less than his named counterpart, which makes sense as he's on the same paygrade as Al Amos suggested. It's still a big jump in values however, with a gen brig worth 78 points and his anonymous replacement worth 76 if captured. So be warned about losing leaders - my game against another opponent saw a jump of over 5000 points when I upgraded.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:06 pm 

Andy - sorry this happened in your game. Right off there should have been an "Alternate Victory Points for Leader Casualties" rule ADDED to the Optional Rules when they started down this rabbit hole. Leave the old rule as is. That was not their choice so I just choose to turn it OFF.

But thankfully, its not in the default code so we all can just turn the rule off and not use the rule. I have an idea on how to solve all of this but it will take manual calculations on the part of the players. We would play with the rule ON but use a basic list of points for each type of leader. It would all average out where you have leaders with low values mixed with leader of higher values. It would be much better to go that route than to use the rule as programmed as it is now.

Something like this:

Army Leader:
Captured/Killed: 150 pts.
Wounded: 75 pts. (wounded is an odd name for this category - it should be called "Incapacitated" as Napoleon suffered a wound during the Eckmuhl campaign but was not incapacitated)

Wing/Corps Leader:
Captured/Killed: 100 pts
Wounded: 50 pts

Division Leader:
Captured/Killed: 40 pts.
Wounded: 20 pts.

Brigade Leader:
Captured/Killed: 20 pts.
Wounded: 10 pts.

The usual "House Rules" about Napoleon and other significant leaders of the era can still apply for those that want to end the game there and then once they are killed or captured. I agree that had Napoleon been killed that the French army probably would have recoiled in horror and that would have ended the wars.

For me: I would use an even easier scale that would take into account ONLY the leader's effect on the current battle. Thus ANY kind of leader casualty would count the same. I would lower the upper amount and raise the lower amounts in that instance. And folks have their own ideas on this ... I wont debate the values. Just tossed them out as an idea.

In trying to "Standardize things" Rich and co. have instead ended up splintering the players more in this case. Hopefully the Optional Rules that I LOVE to use are not going to be mucked around with. If it goes too far I have other things to do with my time than wonder what else is going to be screwed up in this series.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:35 pm 

Another idea I have had ... for a Wound result... put in a variable that the leader will return to battle. Make it 1%. The points would drop off once the leader returns to play ... Call it the Leader Returns to Action optional rule.

Add in a "Leader Escapes Capture" rule .... .02 % of it happening. Similar result for leader VPs going off of the count once that happens.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:38 am 

The leader returns and leader escapes rule is a pretty neat idea Bill!

Like many, I'm very shocked by the rule changes and certainly will not be playing with it on. Especially since my only saving grace for how awful I am with the games is that I have very low leader loss! :frenchlol:

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 am 

SLudwig wrote:
The leader returns and leader escapes rule is a pretty neat idea Bill!

Like many, I'm very shocked by the rule changes and certainly will not be playing with it on. Especially since my only saving grace for how awful I am with the games is that I have very low leader loss! :frenchlol:

Look, Scott, moving ALL of your leaders off the board on turn 1 .. is not very sporting. ;)

You need to have them prance around the front of your lines waving a salute at the enemy. :frenchlol: :frenchlol1:

I mean, be sporting. :frenchwink1: :revenge: :russianveryhappy:

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:52 pm 

I know that at Marengo that losing leaders will often determine the battle

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:38 am 

Perhaps it falls to the new recruits to really expose this change, as we cheerfully throw leaders away willy-nilly.

I've just recently lost Ney, captured at Quatre-Bras where my opponent was Mike Davis. He was worth 290VP. OK, that smarts but seems fair enough to me.

But playing the first day of Caldiero as a training battle with Pete Russo I lost the Divisional General Charpentier (again captured) and lost 856 VP. That has got to be a bug, surely?

Cheers

Jonathan

3ème Division,
4ème Corps d'Armée.

:eagle:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:58 am 

Jonathan Powles wrote:
But playing the first day of Caldiero as a training battle with Pete Russo I lost the Divisional General Charpentier (again captured) and lost 856 VP. That has got to be a bug, surely?

Cheers

Jonathan

Maybe, calculation is done this way: