Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 pm 

In Remembrance of Lieutenant General Thomas David Phillips, 1st Graf von Lüneburg

It is with a heavy heart that news of Tom's passing has been received. Lieutenant General Thomas David Phillips, 1st Graf von Lüneburg Initially joined the NWC in 2007 with the Preußische Armee. Sekondleutenant Phillips was assigned to the Brandenburgisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 5 (Prinz Wilhelm), 1. Kavallerie-Brigade, Reserve-Kavallerie-I. Armee-Korps, I. Armee-Korps.

In 2010 Tom would return to the NWC in the the King's Service with the Anglo-Allied Army (AAA). Tom commanded the Fuß Artillerie Batterie Rettberg, Hannoversche Artillerie Brigade, Hannoversche Division (Hanoverian Division), II (Anglo-German) Corps for the remaining 13 years he was a member with us. From 2011-2013 Tom quickly rose in the ranks from 2nd Lieutenant to Brigadier. He would finally be promoted to Major General on March 18, 2018.

He had multiple honors and awards to his name for the years of gaming including the Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw Commandeur for accumulating a minimum of 500 points and having at least 5 Victory Points. He also was awarded the Army Gold Medal 1806-14 for 3 victories over the French and each of the long service and conduct medals. In 2018 he was Mentioned in Dispatches and awarded the Military General Service Medal 1793-1814 for being one of the top 5 Players in the Anglo-Allied Army (AAA) for total of number of turns played that year.

As a final honor Tom has been posthumously promoted to:

Lieutenant General

as well as being awarded:

Order of Saint Michael and Saint George Grand Cross Star

On September 2, 2017 he was issued a Letter of Patent and invested into the Peerage as the Graf von Lüneburg after having played over 30 games.

Tom was a member of five clubs, ours, the former iNWC, the ACWGC, CCC & the Blitz. He joined all of them in either 2006 or 2007 and was an active member here & our sister clubs right up until his passing. In the AWCGC he was an officer in the Confederate States of America (CSA). He attained the rank of Lieutenant General and spent most of his 17 years in the Army of Alabama (AoA), Army of the West (AotW) & Army of Tennessee (AoT) of the Western Theater, but also served with the Army of Georgia (AoG) in the Eastern Theater. He further served on the Western Theater Command Staff. His most important post was as the Dean of Cadets of the Vicksburg Military Institute (VMI), welcoming new officers and helping them find battles. As a Leutnant in the former iNWC, he commanded the 2. Infanterie-Bataillon, 12. Infanterie-Regiment (Brandenburgisches), 1. Infanterie-Brigade, I. Armee-Korps, Königlich Preußische Armee. In the CCC for 17 years, Maréchal de France Le Prince du Philips, OOL was an officer in the Roi des Français' service, commanding the Régiment Royal-Roussillon, Brigade Royal-Roussillon, Troupes Royales, Troupes de Terre du Canada in the l'Armée de Terre Royale as well as later commanding the Brigade Royal-Roussillon & the Troupes de Terre du Canada in addition to his Régiment.

Tom lived in Russell, Kansas at the time of his passing. He grew up in Royal Oak, MI and also lived in Richmond, VA, as well as in Rochester, MN. He was a skilled carpenter & cabinetmaker by trade, employed while in Russell at Lynn's Custom Woodworking for over 10 years and more recently worked at a gluten plant. He was big into gaming, but also enjoyed history overall, sports & geography! His emails, especially when playing a game would often include images or maps related to the battle or time period of the game. I always looked forward to what he would find when playing games with him.

I did my best to tally up Tom's 17 years of gaming in the various clubs he was in and he played an astounding 1,707 games & had 13,425 points in all five clubs combined! It goes without saying he devoted so much time and passion to our hobby. Tom played games with many members of the various clubs including guys like Brett Kolcun (28 games) & Giorgio Beacco (42 games). To officers like Tom Ciampa (64 games) & Dale Lastowicka (69 games) that he played in several clubs. He played 234 games with the late Cela Noftz. They played constantly for years in all clubs and I know Tom took it rather hard when Cela passed. Official Records for Tom's service can be viewed here, as part of the Memorial Page: https://www.wargame.ch/wc/nwc/Army_Webp ... llips.html

A copy of the obituary his family sent has also been placed with his service record on the Memorial Page: https://wargame.ch/wc/acw/sub/AoT/Servi ... s_Obit.pdf

You'll Be Missed Tom!

Your Friends at the Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

- A donation has been made in Tom's memory to the National Trust for Scotland. Tom always used The Brus as his nickname.

Remembrance Posts for Tom have also been made in the other two clubs:

CCC - https://www.wargame.ch/board/cc/viewtop ... =6&t=10251

ACWGC - https://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopi ... =4&t=23312

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:29 am 

I am very sorry to hear of Tom's passing. He was a legend in the ACW and someone that always was vocal about how much he appreciated the club members and staff. We grieve together with his family and friends at this time. Tom will never be forgotten.

Amazing number of games, Scott. Just amazing.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:20 pm 

Bill Peters wrote:
Amazing number of games, Scott. Just amazing.

Indeed Bill, he was really a great gamer and I bet there were a lot of games not on the books too.

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:57 am 

This is a great tribute Scott, thanks for putting it all together. Tom was clearly a great asset to our hobby and will be missed.

Cavalry Corps

Dum vivimus vivamus