Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:24 am 

Gentlemen,
I was thinking about fire combat again and again in the past, currently my perception is that we usually use units that fire in a way most beneficial to us, but that is not necessary like they were used back then. I make three threads to not mix the discussions on the different unit types.
This one is about skirmishers.

To me it seems that they are only used as speeds bumps on the defense to force the attacker to melee them away or expose the cavalry in the attempt to tide them down. On the offense they are only good as a kind a minor shield because any fire through them at formed units behind them get reduced by 20%, but in the end they are missed on the assault so it may not be worth the shield an assault.

If that is correct one wonders what's up with the stories of skirmishers softening enemy units with their fire as a preparation for an assault. This was strongly used by the French in the Revolutionary Wars as the volunteer bat. were just not trained enough to perform like professional soldiers and battalion maneuvers were hard to be done with them. So the volunteer bat. broke down into swarms of skirmishers and tried to destabilize the enemy line with fire, so that the professional bat. could follow up with an assault.

Now, how do you use skirmishers generally?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:03 am 

Playing Austria, I don't really have skirmishers ;)
At least too few to learn how to use them.

My opponent uses the French ones quite efficiently and they are softening up my troops for assault. A few turns of constant skirmisher fire will disordered a bataillon and then come the french columns. It seems to work fine. Another nasty tactic of may valued opponent is to try to encircle my troops with them...in close terrain a disordered infantry bataillon sometimes cannot even assault a skirmisher unit, effectively trapping it.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:53 pm 

Maybe a bit off topic since this is about fire combat, but I recently found out that the "Column Movement Restriction" does give skirmishers quite a bit of boost in utility since regular column infantry can't move or attack forest/towns/marsh without getting disordered, reducing their attack power to 1/3. Roads don't remove that effect either for the attack.
So for attacking those terrain tiles you probably have to use mass skirmisher formations if you play with that additional rule.

Königlich-Preußisches Armee-Korps

~~~~~~~~~

For Club Games: I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

VPLC, RL, NRO, CMR, PR, NME