Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:08 am 

The game series really knows how to mess with our feelings, and I wanted to relate it to the struggles of commanders and soldiers back in the day.

When we jump into a PBEM scenario, we never know what surprises it will bring. This is especially true when playing a Campaign mode with FOW. It's interesting to admit how invested we get in our PBEM battles. When things go well, or even better than expected, we're filled with a surge of creativity and joy. It gets us pumped up to keep playing and dive deeper into the scenario.

But let's be honest, when our plans and execution fails and everything turns into a disaster, it's like a punch in the gut. It can kill our interest in that particular battle or even the whole series.

That's exactly what warfare is all about. Breaking the enemy's will to fight. In real life, there's no quitting and picking up a different hobby. If the enemy's morale crumbled, you'd see a massive rout (Jena) or a complete surrender without a fight (Ulm).

Looking at the PBEM results from the NWC records, it's clear that most of the outcomes lean heavily towards major victories or defeats. It's like we're programmed to give up if things aren't going our way, even though we could still salvage a minor defeat or perhaps even a draw. If we do some cool-headed calculations of VPs and consider projected losses, along with a few enemy mistakes, we might turn the tables in our favor.

We also tend to underestimate the challenges our opponents face and the desperation and fears they're dealing with. It's hard to appreciate all that when the fog of war clouds our judgment. The opponent might be losing their nerve too.

Even a small tactical setback, like losing a heavy battery due to enemy action, can crush our spirits. It feels like a big deal, even if strategically it's not that dramatic, and statistically the odds will even out later in the battle. But emotions take over, and we are quick to give up and move on.

In my experience one the most rewarding moments come when faced with those tough situations but manage to pull the best out it. Keeping a cool head, planning, not rushing the turn (or even taking a day break to cool our emotions down), analysing the situation, and execute our moves with precision, even when we're suffering heavy losses and our plans fail. There's something deeply satisfying about overcoming difficult challenges with calculated decision-making. That is human nature I suppose.

I suppose there is also a trick in mixing up your opponents. There's no point in constantly subjecting yourself to the pain of playing against superior players. Sure, it's great to learn from them and improve your skills, but you also need victories to boost your confidence. Seek out less experienced players occasionally to get practice the acquired skills and score some wins and then find someone on your level for a real challenge.

In the end, what matters most is the experience itself. Whether you're easily crushing the French as the Allied player at Waterloo or fighting “all lost” Leipzig battle against the Allied in the hard times of 1813, it's all about immersing yourself in the historical setting and enjoying the thrill of the game.
The emotional roller-coaster of the series perfectly simulates the unpredictability of warfare and the crucial role morale plays in determining the outcome. So, let's embrace the challenges, analyse the situation with a cool head, and pull the best we can. The sweet taste of victory will be all more satisfying.

8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army

(I don't play with Rout limiting ON)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:20 pm 

Very enjoyable commentary. I can really relate. :frenchsalute:

La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:56 pm 

Well said! Hear, hear!

The mental game is the most "realistic" aspect of these games (which can sometimes get a little whacky). The necessity in the face of uncertainty gives an inkling of how challenging it must have been to make military decisions. Any fantasies I might have to be a real commander evaporate when I see the casualty lists and think of the burden of being responsible for so many lives in real life. Games with multiple players further accentuate this and are very exciting.

I just wrapped up a game of the Battle of 2nd Stockach from Republican Bayonets on the Rhine which captured this concept well. I was barely holding on and I could see masses of fresh enemy troops approaching, and the turns leading up to the game was a scramble to throw units into the fray to try keep the line intact and some light cavalry charges to try and stem the tide. But it didn't seem like enough and I awaited my doom.
:frenchangry:

I sent my last turn to my foe and gritted my teeth and was surprised to receive a reply that they conceded because they didn't think they could go on. I was surprised since they outnumbered me everywhere, my troops were ragged, and his artillery had gotten into devastating positions. I suppose the cavalry charges had a greater effect on his morale than on his troops!
:frenchcharge:

In the games where I "await my doom" and things don't end as happily it can be tough to even watch the replay of my opponents actions. But, if a game is lost, I figure I might as well do what I can to be as effective as possible with what I have available and learn from the experience anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:56 am 

Sergio Porres wrote:

I suppose the cavalry charges had a greater effect on his morale than on his troops!
:frenchcharge:

:russianveryhappy:

Sergio Porres wrote:
it can be tough to even watch the replay of my opponents actions

i know the feeling.
you almost dont want to see that :scottishduh:

8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:09 pm 

Very well said!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:24 am 

Very true indeed and well said! I for one am always surprised when I win or a turn goes better than expected! :thumbsup:

Great follow up comments Sergio!

Allied Coalition Webmaster & Club Website Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:41 am 

I think Bill once said "It's a game of moral.", and the above postings make clear that this counts on screen and off screen, the later even more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:14 am 

What a great post and great followup comments.

There's a couple of thoughts that got stirred for me on this thread. First was, why play these games at all if its not to win, right? If we're honest everyone like to win a game and after all, we're playing simulated battles where success and failure is measured by victory and defeat. History does it across the ages, the resulting politics of the day were determined by victory and defeat. The game engine itself is designed to generate a definitive result winning either way or a draw. But, if all you want to do is win at a computer game there are countless to chose from which are easier to access and win (I deleted Candy Crush many moons ago, way too much time wasted). So while winning is a factor it must be for something more than just that.

So what is the driving force behind joining a club like NWC to play WDS games? Is it the desire to play multiplayer games? Well again alternatives do exist. I've played a couple of online multiplayer games also in my time. And even though there were lots of other people online playing I definitely didn't feel any connection at all. So I think its that, connecting with people with similar interests and at least similar frame of mind. And that, for me at least can soften the blow of defeat, getting on with your opponent and sharing sentiment around the game helps, at least a little.

Win or lose, either way, long may the NWC endure!

Cavalry Corps

Dum vivimus vivamus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:04 pm 

Mike Davies wrote:
What a great post and great followup comments.

There's a couple of thoughts that got stirred for me on this thread. First was, why play these games at all if its not to win, right? If we're honest everyone like to win a game and after all, we're playing simulated battles where success and failure is measured by victory and defeat. History does it across the ages, the resulting politics of the day were determined by victory and defeat. The game engine itself is designed to generate a definitive result winning either way or a draw. But, if all you want to do is win at a computer game there are countless to chose from which are easier to access and win (I deleted Candy Crush many moons ago, way too much time wasted). So while winning is a factor it must be for something more than just that.

So what is the driving force behind joining a club like NWC to play WDS games? Is it the desire to play multiplayer games? Well again alternatives do exist. I've played a couple of online multiplayer games also in my time. And even though there were lots of other people online playing I definitely didn't feel any connection at all. So I think its that, connecting with people with similar interests and at least similar frame of mind. And that, for me at least can soften the blow of defeat, getting on with your opponent and sharing sentiment around the game helps, at least a little.

Insightful comments.

President, Colonial Campaigns Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:07 am 

Mike Davies wrote:

So true.
Indeed, it’s a lot more than just online wargaming.

Beyond the pixels and the strategies, it's the sense of community and, it’s a shared passions with a distinct group based on similar interest which is also a niche and makes it a lot more valuable when come across a person with a similar but rare interest

8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:02 am 

Way late to the party, but excellent post by Alexey. This brings me personally to why I play the WDS games, they (their engines for each series) remind me a lot of my old board wargaming days and with the companies, SPI, GDW, COA, and Marshal Enterprises specifically to the NB series. It also harkens to my tenure as an ASL player (1985-2014), and the tenants Alexey mentioned hold true (or were first brought to my attention) in board wargames.

Why?

Back in the 1970s (and I suppose even before with the early days of Avalon Hill in the early 1960s) and into the mid to late 1980s, the only way to really play wargames was either go to a local club (usually a hobby store, remember those? They used to sell plastic models, trains, woodend airplane kits, fantasy games and low and behold wargames). Back then there was no computers or PBEM, so we had to play face to face (there were a few systems by AH and the General to play by snail mail and the stock exchange to get die rolls). But the experience was to try to win, but when playing face to face with a great wargaming system (whatever it was) that was the true experience.

I would have never been exposed to miniatures if this was not played at my local hobby game store. I have always been a board wargamer, but when I got introduced to miniatures it opened ope another aspect of wargaming.

Anyway, my first love was always board wargames, and to me the WDS series of games (virtually all of them) take me back in a way to yesteryear to my board wargaming experience. Today with just email I have countless access to 'new' friends and have more wargaming experiences to enjoy (even when getting trashed, lol).

Imperial Russian Army