Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:02 am 

Gentlemen,

I have designed a revised version of the #6 Large Waterloo Campaign scenario with what I think is a more historically accurate deployment. What I am looking for is someone to help with creating a new pdt.file using an old Eckmulh pdt using movement factors of 22-Infantry, 28-cavalry, 24-artillery and 20 for wagons. The reason for the changes is to better reflect the differences in movement on pikes, roads and paths. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom Moore

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

Post subject: Re: Help!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:49 pm 

Hi Tom,
if you open the snenario file there is a name for a PDT file used by scenario:

you need to locate this file in the Data folder and open it.

the movmenets costs within PDT are starting from here:
the first one is for blocked terratin movement costs (hence its zero) and below rows are corresponding to pther terrain types movement costs in the PDT.

first zero in the row is for line infantry
second zero is for column
third is for cavalry
fourth is artillery
fifth is for wagons

next row is for Clear hexes movement costs
next row of values is water
then for forest
etc

use the PDT file from the game to see what rows are corresponding to:

you need to adjust the values in these rows with the values from Eckmuhl and save the file.
Then run the scenario it check PDT parameters to test the results

8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army

(I don't play with Rout limiting ON)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:19 am 

Tom - I will be happy to build you such a file. Please contact me at my email address wmp3662 <AT> gmail.com

We will use a copy of one of the Eckmuhl PDT files and start from there. I will go over all of the steps with you offline.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:20 am 

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your offer on help building a new pdt. file for the Waterloo game but I was able to use an "AustrisFirst" Eckmuhl pdt. as you suggested to build a pdt. file for the Waterloo game. I wish WDS would use this file as the standard pdt file. It gives a much more flexible format for giving movement cost for the different types of units. Also it gives a much better representation of the different road types.

Thanks again for your offer.

Tom

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:17 am 

Thomas Moore wrote:
Hello Bill,

Thank you for your offer on help building a new pdt. file for the Waterloo game but I was able to use an "AustrisFirst" Eckmuhl pdt. as you suggested to build a pdt. file for the Waterloo game. I wish WDS would use this file as the standard pdt file. It gives a much more flexible format for giving movement cost for the different types of units. Also it gives a much better representation of the different road types.

Thanks again for your offer.

Tom

I will be interested in hearing how your games go.

Here is a short list of things I would like to correct in the Campaign Waterloo game for a future "Mod" I might do:

1. The Old Roman Road needs to be straightened out. I can do this in the Map Editor and put out a file called "Beligium-Revised.map."

2. The Prussians fought in "Treffen" not in regiments. The battalions of the regiment were divided up into these Treffen and cavalry squadrons, Jagers/light cos. and guns completed each of these.

3. The French OB - French morale ratings need to be standardized more.

4. Cavalry would be in squadrons. I have all of the information I need to do this.

5. 10 Minute turn format PDT File based on the ones I used for the majority of the games I worked on. The 10 Min format cuts down on the "Blitz" a lot. The current Waterloo PDT file has units zipping by your locations with no time to react.

See my 1815 OB from the Campaign 1814 game for how I would do #2 & #3. It basically done - I would just need to change the artwork numbers for that OB. I would need to verify that the Treffen are correct but I did get that OB for the 1814 game from Dr. Summerfield's OB he had for the 1815 campaign. Might need some touching up.

While I really would like to build a northern extension from the large Fleurus map I am not sure I have the mental energy to do it. It would use the same style as that RBR Fleurus map. I actually have a new map file ready to work on. I would need to build the TWO overlays for it. One is for the topography and the other is from the 1770s map of Beligium.

So much to do ... so few brain cells!!!

:frenchlol: :frenchlol1:

(Enter Ernie Sands at this point)

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:28 am 

Bill Peters wrote:
Here is a short list of things I would like to correct in the Campaign Waterloo game for a future "Mod" I might do:

Looking forwad to this!

I did conside this large scenario but the road movmemts PDT + 15 min turns put me off. As of now the scenario has a few shortcomings which can be addressed by what you mention.

8th Infantry Corps
2nd Western Army

(I don't play with Rout limiting ON)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:08 pm 

Hello Bill,

The biggest thing I changed in my modification of the #6 Waterloo scenario was the arrival of units on both sides on the map, timing of releases of Allied units plus redeployment of the Prussian !st Corp.

As for the map the biggest error is the placement of the Le Marchiennes's Bridge which should be several miles further west. There should be only one bridge at Charleroi. My chief source of information for my changes was John Hussey's" Waterloo Campaign of 1815". A very detailed account. If you like, I can send you a copy of my modified scenario file and modified pdt.

Tom

4ème Corps d'Armée
La Grande Armée

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:27 pm 

Thomas Moore wrote:
Hello Bill,

The biggest thing I changed in my modification of the #6 Waterloo scenario was the arrival of units on both sides on the map, timing of releases of Allied units plus redeployment of the Prussian !st Corp.

As for the map the biggest error is the placement of the Le Marchiennes's Bridge which should be several miles further west. There should be only one bridge at Charleroi. My chief source of information for my changes was John Hussey's" Waterloo Campaign of 1815". A very detailed account. If you like, I can send you a copy of my modified scenario file and modified pdt.

Tom

I have found five different maps for Charleroi. The version I used for the Fleurus map for RBR is reliable. Its different than the version on the Belgium map.

I decided that going with an enlarged Fleurus map would be better than spending any time updating the Belgium map. I would just leave the Fleurus area alone and rebuild the area to the north to include Waterloo and Wavre areas.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:24 am 

Bill Peters wrote:

1. The Old Roman Road needs to be straightened out. I can do this in the Map Editor and put out a file called "Beligium-Revised.map."

2. The Prussians fought in "Treffen" not in regiments. The battalions of the regiment were divided up into these Treffen and cavalry squadrons, Jagers/light cos. and guns completed each of these.

3. The French OB - French morale ratings need to be standardized more.

4. Cavalry would be in squadrons. I have all of the information I need to do this.

5. 10 Minute turn format PDT File based on the ones I used for the majority of the games I worked on. The 10 Min format cuts down on the "Blitz" a lot. The current Waterloo PDT file has units zipping by your locations with no time to react.

See my 1815 OB from the Campaign 1814 game for how I would do #2 & #3. It basically done - I would just need to change the artwork numbers for that OB. I would need to verify that the Treffen are correct but I did get that OB for the 1814 game from Dr. Summerfield's OB he had for the 1815 campaign. Might need some touching up.

While I really would like to build a northern extension from the large Fleurus map I am not sure I have the mental energy to do it. It would use the same style as that RBR Fleurus map. I actually have a new map file ready to work on. I would need to build the TWO overlays for it. One is for the topography and the other is from the 1770s map of Beligium.

Would really love to see some of the things implemented into a official patch, at least the 10 minute format as I still dream of having all games that way.
Let face it, the early once not by Bill really need more then just polishing.

Bill can you give some details what you mean with "3. The French OB - French morale ratings need to be standardized more."?