Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:21 pm 

I just finished with a big map project for David Freer and will return to work on this project now. My plan is to finish up the order of battle file and then lay out the units on the map and in the reinforcement queue and then have two playtesters try it out. Then back to map work while its being tested.

I am guessing that I will finish up with this by the end of the week at the latest.

The testing will use the same rules that I had the team use long ago as they mirror how the project was tested. Thus no Movement Disorder rule will be used and anything like having Rout Limiting off which could skew the results wildly in any one direction.

I will update this thread once again once the project is completed.

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Prinz Peters von Dennewitz

3. Husaren-Regiment, Reserve-Kavallerie, Preußischen Armee-Korps

Honarary CO of Garde-Ulanen Regiment, Garde-Grenadier Kavallerie

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

MDF, VP4LC, NRO, MTD, CMR, PR, MIM, NDM, OMR (ver 4.07)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 pm 

Quick update: the OB work and the setup of the units for the battle scenario (both on map and in the reinforcement queue) for this project was going to be too demanding so I am bowing out and will just use the older OB that we used for the playtest game I played with Dean Webster. The main thing was to correct the issues with the map and test them out.

Christian Hecht and I have been emailing back and forth on the OB and I just do not trust the strengths or the forces listed for the battle and will leave it to him to come up with his own version of the battle. The OB information seemed off in places. I found errors in the unit names and I suspect that the French cavalry strengths add in the amount of spare horses that the regiment had in reserve.

My map work is high priority and I need to cut back on work that involve too much complexity which the layout and OB work entail. Hashing out the issues .. I just no longer have the incentive nor time for it. This era has a lot of that and I will leave it to the experts to put out a better version of the battle.

The version in the next Campaign Leipzig update will be good enough to satisfy the reason why I got into this project in the first place until someone like Christian puts out a better one.

NWC Founding Member

For Club Games: I prefer the Single Phase mode of play. I prefer to play with the following options OFF:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:54 pm 

Today I integrated the updated Dennewitz map into the larger Berlin Operational map. I checked that the new section "tied off" properly with the existing map section, had to add in some roads, convert one road to a Pike and so on so that it all fit in right.

My next step will be to do a check on the campaign scenarios.

The updated Battle of Dennewitz scenario is already ready to go. I just have to convert the other scenarios as well. I have a week to work on this and then I have more map work to do but I do not think it will take more me than three days to work on it.

So I decided to go a step further. Now that I wont be hashing out the OB file, this map work was the logical step. Later on if the team wants to update the OB file too, then it will be a bit of work for them but for now the map update is the main thing to work on.

So that gave me a big feeling of relief in that I was a tad let down that I could not get the OB file to work out but I will have accomplished the main goal which is to update the map.

:thumbsup:

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:19 pm 

Update on the scenario update work:

I built a text file that outlined my goals and the things I needed to do to finish up the update.

The master map file, Berlin_Operational.map now has three SUB maps and the scenarios that use these are now under review for changes. I am slowly but surely working my way through the lists. It comes down to four sets of scenarios and the ones using the Dennewitz_SUB.map (formerly used the older Dennewitz.map file) comprise the largest group.

All I can say is that I am glad I backed out of doing the OB update work. There is just too many scenarios to update (well over 30) and I would hate for it to be left undone meaning have the historical battle scenario #056 updated but the rest left as is.

I am extending the completion time for this project so as to not try and rush the work. I probably will finish by the end of two week's time. I will do some map work along with this.

Some of you will remember when I updated the Russian artillery units for Campaign Austerlitz. That took a lot of work. Pulling out units and placing them back on the map. Knowing which scenarios to update and which units to remove/replace. Its a lot of mental work and just take a real meticulous plan to execute it.

So I am happy I halted with the scenario update work and did not plunge ahead with the OB update.

I am finding other things that I need to correct while I do this. I was nothing that the scenario size text in the Scenario Description either listed it with small caps or large caps (large vs. Large) so I am fixing that along the way for the Dennewitz scenarios. I will leave the rest to Rich Hamilton's discretion as to whether he wants to correct those or not. I much prefer large caps first letter L as it stands out more.

NWC Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:21 pm 

So this work is finally done and I have sent the files off to Rich Hamilton for him to look over and eventually include in the next update for the Leipzig game. Glad to be finally finished with this. I started it way back in the fall of last year. Nice to be moving on.

The OB View scenarios were overhauled to some extent with two new ones being added in and three new generic OB view maps (Small thru Large) added in. Now the OB units do not use the battlefield maps as the backdrop but the new generic map makes it easier to view them.

Found issues with incorrect AI Script entries in the header where "2" should have been the value for the nationality that has scripts. Other errors corrected as well.

NWC Founding Member