Napoleonic Wargame Club (NWC)

The Rhine Tavern

*   NWC   NWC Staff   NWC Rules   NWC (DoR) Records   About Us   Send Email Inquiry to NWC

*   La Grande Armée Quartier Général    La Grande Armée Officer Records    Join La Grande Armée

*   Allied Coalition   Allied Officers   Join Coalition

*   Coalition Armies:   Austro-Prussian-Swedish Army   Anglo Allied Army (AAA)   Imperial Russian Army

Forums:    ACWGC    CCC     Home:    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm 

Hey guys, I know this a popular book, but its hard to find. My son is a teenager and becoming interested in history. I was wondering if anyone here was willing to sell a copy or where I might be able to find one to satiate his quest for learning about such things.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 am 

There is currently a used copy available on Mercari, prices there are subject to negotiation. It’s currently about half of what I’ve seen elsewhere.

27ème Régiment d'Infanterie Légère
1ère Brigade, 2ème Division
1er Corps d'Armée

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am 

An outstanding book IMHO, a classic indeed. If found at reasonable price, grab it, it will grace your bookshelf for life.

4ème Division de Dragons,
3ème Corps d'Armée,
La Grande Armée

WDS Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg, Corinth, Chancellorsville, Chickamauga, Petersburg, Overland, Atlanta, Shiloh
Eckmuhl, Wagram, Russian Cmpgn, Leipzig, Bautzen, Cmpgn 1814, Bonparte's Peninsular
Scheldt '44, Bulge '44, The First Blitzkrieg, Wolfpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:19 pm 

Josh Jansen wrote:
Hey guys, I know this a popular book, but its hard to find. My son is a teenager and becoming interested in history. I was wondering if anyone here was willing to sell a copy or where I might be able to find one to satiate his quest for learning about such things.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

Sir, I see it available on Amazon, new, for $55 with one-day shipping via Prime.

VI Division
III Peninsular Corps

We have always been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France.
-- Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:55 am 

Awesome! Thank you gents for the input on this one!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:00 pm 

Glad I could help; it's a wonderful book with great maps. I'm trying to build a Napoleonic library; I recently acquired the James Arnold trilogy covering the 1806-1807 battles (Jena, Eylau, Friedland) and Alexander Mikaberidze's three books on the Russia campaign (and his general history of the wars). Would appreciate any recommendations. A lot of what's available in English is focused on Waterloo; I'm thinking about the John Gill series that covers the 1809 campaigns, ending with Wagram. There's also some good memoirs on the Kindle platform for cheap.

VI Division
III Peninsular Corps

We have always been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:41 am 

Josh, my hard copy of the book was damaged and a total loss in a basement flood 12 years ago. A few years ago I got the Kindle version for less than 10 dollars but I doubt a sale like that will happen soon lol.

James--Gill's books are fantastic and have a great level of granule operational and tactical detail. Arnold also has written two books on the 1809 campaign and they are now available as a single volume in paperback (I bought it last year). You may have to get it directly from his website.

Arnold is a better writer and storyteller but Gill goes much more in depth into many more aspects of the campaign. For example, he spends a lot more time on what happened in Italy and it is fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:52 pm 

Thank you! I've ordered the entire Gillis series, other than the standalone volume on Znaim, which he seems to cover in his volume on Wagram. Agree on how well-written Arnold's books are, a real pleasure to read. Good maps too. Still, though, for me the Chandler book stands supreme. It's so well written, with maps that are beautiful enough to frame. I think he offers a very honest warts-and-all portrait of Bonaparte. Paul Johnson wrote a short bio of Napoleon many years ago and portrayed him as something of a foolish, arrogant, unlikable bumbler -- the "ogre" of the English nursery. While a member of the Grande Armee, I must confess that as possessing something of a reactionary temperament I'm more sympathetic to the English, Prussians and Russians than the ideals of the revolution, but Bonaparte was certainly among the most remarkable men ever to draw breath on this earth, and, I think, pre-eminent among soldiers.

I was also fortunate enough to secure the Esposito/Etling Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars yesterday (I found it used on Amazon). Incredible maps and commentary. Going forward I'll play this this beautiful volume alongside me.

I'd like to obtain a good edition of Ney's memoirs; thus far I've only been able to locate Vol. I. The Kindle edition suffers from all sorts of formatting errors. On which, the Kindle version of Mikaberidze's Borodino book was very bad. It missed a lot of "fs" -- there were so many referenced to a 'lank attack" that I began thinking there was actually such thing as a 'lank attack," or positioning to "turn the enemy's lank." I appreciate Kindle making a lot of rare/unavailable books available at a good price, but one wishes they'd hire a proofreader. It's not as though they can't afford it.

Best to all.

VI Division
III Peninsular Corps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:08 pm 

I just obtained Nafziger's Napoleon at Dresden, hoping to get the other two books in the 1813 series

II (Anglo-German) Corps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:56 pm 

IMHO Napoleon at Dresden is great and covers a lot of stuff. But it is not exactly well written or organized. Has been a long time since I read it...