American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am 

I am trying to determine if the battle is winnable for the Rebel player. So I wanted to try this scenario as the Union side to see if I could find any weakness to exploit. But I need an opponent to play the CSA side that has time to quickly run through this battle. It is a three day battle but I suspect it will be over in two. I don't think the Reb side has a chance in hell but I would like to make sure. :D

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 pm 

I'll take the CSA side and see what kind of game I can give you. I'll get a file to you tonight and if you don't like my optional rule choices we can discuss and restart. I should be good for two or three turns a week, maybe more if the wife is traveling.

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:25 pm 

Well Mark went down to inglorious defeat by noon of the first day with the Union already at Major Victory level. Mostly confirming my initial opinion that the historic scenario overwhelmingly favors the Union.

Anyone else feeling lucky and thinks they have a strategy that will give the Rebel a chance?
I couldn't find any obvious weaknesses to the Union army that would counter balance their considerable manpower advantage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm 

I thought about giving it a go but have to agree with your assessment. The problem isn't that the battle is unwinnable on paper but that because we all know exactly the enemy's position at the start, their numbers, and their release schedule, we can plan and react accordingly. Much like a Shiloh or Second Manassas it makes the element of surprise, that was so critical to the CSA successes in those battles, null and void.

I just wish the designers would have made a three-day meeting engagement for this battle with a slightly larger map area.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:29 am 

The Rebel side has a boat load of problems in this scenario. The obvious one is the Union right while fixed initially so you can get in the first blow, is easily reinforced. Sometimes, at least when they first play it, the Union player fails to realize he needs to send major reinforcements to the right and gets his army badly messed up, the Rebel can get a winning lead.

But even this requires the Union player to not realize how superior his resources are. The scenario doesn't give the Rebel player much ammo both small arms and artillery. Three days is a long time to have to fight almost continuously. That means the Rebel either has to bet the farm on his initial attack and hope the Union player surrenders or has to limit his attacks to save ammo. Or he can take the long view. Make the initial attack to do damage and run up VP. Then fall back on better defensive positions.

It is one of the things I had hoped to test. If a Rebel player makes the initial attack, does as much damage as possible and then goes on defensive, can he last the three days.

I just need to find someone willing to fight the long view type battle. I will destroy anyone who goes for the all out attack on the right. They will destroy one division but they will die in front of the line of batteries they will meet on the other side of the woods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:44 pm 
I will play. I will hate to play as a rebel, but sometimes we have to do things in life that are uncomfortable. Email me @ Dereksquires@comcast.net.
Derek