*   The British Armies in America

* Continental American Army

* l'Armée de Terre Royale (French Army)

* Indian Alliance

Club Forums:     NWC    ACWGC     Home Pages:     NWC    ACWGC    CCC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:52 pm 
Here is my analysis of the Brandywine battle from the perspective question: was destroying the British army more important than holding the ground? Should an opponent gain the victory if he leaves the field as long as he inflicts a certain loss level on the other guy? I dont argue for either side althought I tend to lean to the side that says it is better to thrash 1/3 of your opponents' army and then fall back in the face of overwhelming numbers.
Here is the link to my analysis which was too lengthy to post here:
<BR><BR>
http://wargamesims.net/1776/bwine_vps.html
<BR>
While it mainly is of interest to the guy that puts the scenarios together for club, fun, whatever it also can be a useful reference for loss levels.
The loss level tolerance in the Brandywine game was something like 900 American losses to 2000 British losses in order for the Americans to win without having to hold on to any of their objective hexes. This is like losing a small militia brigade as American but destroying the Brit Gds and Lights which in my opinion would have been a stunning victory!
Perhaps a club rule could be to have a look at each battle rather than rule on it unilaterally?
Anyway only food for thought here for you CCC members. When I put a scenario together I try and think of things like this.
John Tiller did a marvelous job of this with Brandywine. From what I see you are going to have to work hard to break that ratio. I have done it three times. Others cant win as the Americans. Of course it is in the player but the setup has alot to do with it too!
Can anyone disput the fact that if the Americans play a straight up battle at Cowpens that they should win? I have lost that one only once as the Americans. On the other hand how many of us have seen the British tear up Lee's Advance Wing in Monmouth and then fall back out of range of the American reinforcements. Basically the game needed more game turns but them's the breaks! The British fell back off the field and only in the minds of the most optimistic American can we claim that one as a great victory. A near disastor!

Capt. Bill Peters, Morgan's Rifles, American Army